XVIII: Unknown Magic

It wouldn't be for another week and a half that Luce got the chance to talk to Michaela. With roughly five weeks left until the first break of the year, the truth about her father seemed closer than ever, but at the same time, part of it was distant as well. It was just out of her grasp and would continue to be until she returned to Amity, and even then, true information was not guaranteed. It left her unsatisfied to think of, but until she went back home, there was nothing she could do about it. Luce's eager anticipation would have to be put aside for the time being.

After a long week of training in magical combat, Michaela decided to grant the class a break. "You've been doing so well up to this point. I understand sparring constantly can be exhausting, and we can't have any of you getting sick. Feel free to relax for the remainder of the period," she had declared before returning to her office tucked away behind a glass wall in the training area.

Luce had glanced briefly to her companions. They were busy doing homework in Sophia's case or playing around on a phone in Sylvia's situation. Luce watched them sit still for a few moments before darting over to where Michaela was. She approached her teacher hesitantly before tapping her on the shoulder. "Professor Apollo?" she managed to say despite the nerves rising. Luce was rarely a particularly nervous person, but this felt weird to her in a few ways. She was asking one of her teachers, who she scarcely spoke to as it was, about light magic when she could very possibly know nothing.

Michaela looked up and smiled upon seeing Luce. Her usual calming aura spread over Luce, settling her nerves slightly. "Hello, Luce. Is there something you wanted to ask me about?" she asked.

Luce internally told her fear to pipe down before speaking. "I wanted to talk to you about my magic," she frowned. "You said you have light powers, right?"

"I do, as a matter of fact. Let me guess... You're trying to figure out what type of magic you have at your disposal," Michaela said.

"How did you guess?" Luce questioned.

Michaela gestured to a nearby chair and had Luce sit. "When she isn't sparring, your friend Tanith is always scribbling in a notebook. I caught a glimpse of it once and saw names of light magic types," Michaela answered. "I figured it had to do with you given the mysterious circumstances under which you came to Alitia."

"Mysterious is one way of putting it... I've been trying to find the truth for ages, but we can't track anything down. It's almost like my light magic just doesn't exist. No matter what we do, nothing fits the description of my powers. It's irritating, to say the least," Luce sighed. "Since you have light magic, we figured you would know better than anyone what types people have."

"I don't know if I'll be able to provide you with an exact title, but I may be able to construct some ideas. I figured you were trying to find the truth, so I've been watching you closely in class. If you want the truth, your powers are seeming rather similar to mine," Michaela told her.

"Do you know the name of what you have then? I want to do some research about it on my own, if that's okay," Luce said eagerly. This was just the chance she had been waiting for. Michaela had an idea of what magic she had, which was the best news Luce had gotten in a while. Ever since talking to Tanith and hearing that her magic could be new, she had been on edge. Something inside of her leapt with joy at the mere prospect of finally having an idea on where to go next.

Michaela frowned. "I'm afraid I don't have much of anything for you. I've never found out the name of my magic. I've had access to it since I was a child and controlling it has never been much of an issue. I don't think I ever learned the name, or if I did, I simply forgot. I'm sorry for the inconvenience," she explained to Luce.