Fearless: Chapter 10

-Elle's POV-

Today's the day. It's been a month and a half and I was finally getting out of here. They said it would've been earlier for good behaviour but Austin and I couldn't resist playing a couple pranks here and there on the security guards. But better late than never!

"Elle Greene?" The security guard asked nonchalantly as ever, dullness thick in his voice. He started to unlock the door but was interrupted by a whimper behind me. As I turned around, I saw Austin hugging his knees crying.

"Austin, don't worry! I'll be right back to bail you out. Please don't cry..." My heart broke into a million pieces. I felt so bad to leave a ten year old boy in a cramped jail cell like that. The security guard cleared his throat. I sent Austin one last empathetic look before stepping out of the human cage.

The man led me to a car and drove me to the police station. The ride was fast and quiet disregarding the police radio station thingy. When I walked into the warm building I was greeted by my mother... Fake crying...

"Oh, my little Elle!" she cried, "I missed you so much! Let's go home now, darling." Her cold hand carressed my cheek. I slapped it away in disgust, "Don't call me that." I demanded firmly.

Only the gang called me that and speaking of the gang all I want to do is see them. No matter how hard I tried, Mary dragged me out of the building and into the car. As soon as we got in the car her act dropped and she was back to her crude self again. We drove to the new house and when I realized we were headed to the west side of town my heart dropped down to my stomach. Mary lived on Soc territory.

We pulled into what looked like a mansion compared to my house and the Curtis house. I was so overwhelmed I didn't want to come out of the car. I was happy that I could live in this beautiful house. I could have the whole gang live here without paying a penny!

But then, it was in Soc territory and my mother would be living here. That would mean I'm a Soc. I would never give up my life with the gang for anything. Even this.

Mary dragged me, again, out of the car by my ear. "W-where did you get this kind of money?" I asked still dazed by the beautiful sight.

"My boyfriend." She replied still dragging me. I swatted her hand away as I entered the big double doors. I saw an old man in a robe laying on the couch watching T.V. I could smell alcohol radiating off of him, it was that bad. This must've been the rich boyfriend of my mother.

"Your room is second floor third door to the right." Mary said walking in and settling down. I was confused. That's all? No lecture? No beating? This is the woman that sent Socs to kill me right? This is the woman that stabbed me and put me in jail right?

Without saying another word I headed up the spiral stairs. I entered my room to find it exactly like my old room in California. Everything was the same. The posters on the wall, my makeup table, my closet. Everything was exactly where it was.

I went to my phone the second I saw it and dialed home hoping Two Bit would pick up. Ringing. Ringing. More ringing... Then I remembered. They weren't home. Mom wasn't home, Two Bit wasn't home... That was when I started to break down.

I didn't have time to break down before because everything was blurred and mumbo jumbo. Two Bit was going to war... The thought circled my mind over and over again.

I was throwing a tantrum now. Throwing things across my room and screaming at the top of my lungs. Nothing has ever upset me so much in my life.

To my surprise, Mary walked in my room trying to calm me down. Trying to comfort me...? "Wait a minute!" I said aloud startling her, "Why are you being so nice to me?" I said backing away.

"Okay, I get it if you hate me and everything but just let me explain," I was shivering from fear. This was probably just one of her sick, little games. "I've just been so down about your father and about you running away. I know I've been a terrible mother and all but everything's going to change now. We're going to start a new life. I'm going to start a new life. And I apologize with all my heart for the way I've been acting."

I shook my head with tears streaming down my face more, "Y-you tried to k-kill me. I will never forgive someone for that. Especially you. You are a terrible excuse for a mother and I never want to see you ever again. I-I hate you! I will live with my real family and I'll be as far away I can be from you. Just get out of my life forever."

When she nodded her head in disappointment and whispered, "I understand." I took that as chance to leave. I meant every single word I said. She killed me. I remember. She remembers.

She left me bound and broken on the ground. Dead. Cold dead. And she expects me to forgive her and live with her to start a new, happy life? It doesn't work like that.

I ran to the Curtis house. All I want is to be as far away as possible from Mary. The tears were streaming straight down my face. I was running as fast as I could but I was stopped by bumping into someone while turning a corner. As I looked down at the person, I was shocked. "Austin?"