Chapter 6

We ran the next two hours at a moderate to fast pace. My feet were still killing me and after 2 hours they felt on fire.

We soon reached a small house , that one could barely call a home. It looked as it would blow away after a few untimely gusts of wind. The outer exterior of the house was decaying. The bricks were hallowed out, they looked as if they had been painted only to disguise its true dillapited state. Small bits of the shingles had fallen and laid scattered around the house in haphazard fashion.Cracks appeared on the wooden door and in the two windows at the side of the house. I shuddered to imagine the late night air streaming in through the cracks in window and door, leaving  the unsuspecting sleepers with sore throats and colds in the morning.

Malakiy looked almost ashamed to admit that this was his house. He was bringing a princess to a hut. He knocked on the door before it swung open. Out came a short , plump, looking woman. Two girls came running out after, with inquisitive eyes and open mouths. They all stared at me as if I was a foreigner.

His mother immediately pulled Malakiy into a hug. "What are you doing here so unexpectedly!? You should have mind linked us, especially if you were bringing guests." Her eyes twinkled with curiosity as they ran up and down my body. I had on plain clothes so to her I could be just about anyone. "Who is she?"

Malakiy explained. "This is Sarah, a maid who works in the castle." Out of all the jobs, why a maid?

"Why have you brought her here?" His mother took off her apron, combed her hair with her fingers, and affected a curtesy.

I curtsied back out of formality. Normally I'd never courtesy to someone who was beneath me in class. However, if I were to keep up the guise of being a maid, I would have to play the part."There has been an attack on the Castle and it was better we come here. When we get news that things are safe we will go back."

"Ok understood. Well welcome Sarah. My name is Alma. Please make yourself at home."

"Thank you. Sorry for coming so unexpectedly. Things are very bad at the castle at the moment. I wouldn't have come so unannounced if there was nowhere else to go."

His mom grabbed my hand. "I'm just happy you guys are alive. Do you know if anything happened to the royals? Are they okay?"

"No not really. They should be at the safe point. I guess we won't know until we return."

His mom gestured for two girls to come forward. "These are my little ones Helena and Caterina. Helena is 12 and Caterina is 5." They each curtsied and stepped backwards to hide themselves behind their mother.

"You two must be starving. I'll serve you two some food."  We sat outside on the dining room table that Malakiy and their dad built  five years ago. However it was so low to the ground that we had to sit crossed legged on the floor and place our bowls on the table.

The mom questioned me on Castle life and the girls mainly wanted  to know about the princess. "Malakiy told us that she's rumored to be very spoiled and bratty. Is that true?" Helena asked. Besides me, Malakiy's face became deep red.

"No I don't think so. She's been very good to me." I mumbled. I didn't like this game of pretend.  I faked a smile nevertheless."What else did he say?" I glanced at him with raised eyebrows. Malakiy avoided my gaze.

"That she always looked sad. She never really smiles. Maybe that's why she is grumpy, she is just sad." Caterina shrugged. "Sometimes I get grumpy when I'm sad." Caterina slurped her soup with her wooden spoon. For such a young girl she was already contemplative and emphatic. I liked her a lot and I adored her name.