A Falcon and a Python

(Here's an extra piece of Nightbird and Nightshadow's backstory.)

(Edit: Okay so I've had this in drafts for about a month or so now and I just wanted to finish it up and post it.)

=

Two pairs of eyes watched from the cover of the forest as the lab they had just escaped from exploded, bursting into flames and ash. The white building crumbled to bits, the sounds of death and brick hitting brick echoing through the woods.

The taller mutant turned its head ever so slightly to look at the smaller monstrosity beside it. The smaller's large yellow eyes were frozen wide, watching the flames and ash, before a small grin spread across its muzzle. Their torture chamber was finally gone.

They watched as a mutant she-lynx wearing green and black, with huge black wings ran out to the rubble, screeching and crying out, "Sis! Sis!" Another mutant lynx followed, smaller with patches of white and gray fur across her pelt, whimpering and making noises. The one with wings dropped and whined, her head hanging and tears falling off her muzzle. The two mutants waited and watched, almost as if it was a movie. The two were taken by surprise when a purple-blue galaxy-themed wolf scrambled out from under the brick, wincing. The lynx with wings looked up and made some cross between a squeal and a cry, immediately tackling the wolf in a hug.

The taller mutant sighed and looked down at the talons on his front paws, remembering those monster's faces when he broke out of his restraints and attacked them. Yes, he and his companion may have killed a few in their escape of brute force and skill, but in the end they made it out, and that was all that matters. So what if they had to rip off a few faces?

The male shook his head. "Come on. Let's go," he said. The smaller mutant looked at him. Her long, snake-like tongue flicked out as she spoke, "But...I can't fly like you?" There was a small hiss after her sentence. "Who said we needed to fly?"

She paused and tilted her head in a jittery motion, as if she was saying that was true. She looked back at him and looked behind, gazing at the thickets and underbrush of the forest. The half-python lynx looked back at her sibling. "How will we know when to stop running? What will we do? Will we even survive? What if the monsters come back?" she asked.

"Time will tell. For now, let's live in the moment and do what we can to survive." He turned his back to the scene, beginning to walk away. The python-lynx followed, running up beside him. "...015?"

"Yes?"

"Should we...rename ourselves? 014 and 015 would imply that we're still their property," she said. 015 hummed. "I suppose we could. Do you have any suggestions?"

014 paused and shook her head. "No..." She looked at the trees and abruptly leaped up, slithering into the branches and jumping from tree to tree. 015 stilled and watched her, before coming up with an idea. "014!" he said. She paused and dropped down. "What?"

"I have a name idea for you," he said. She blinked, then started bouncing excitedly. "What is it? What is it? What is it?"

"Does Slither sound good?" 015 asked. 014 squeaked happily, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" Slither looked ecstatic. Though a simple name may not be much to you and I, it was a big deal for these two subjects.

015 smiled, showing sharp fangs. "Good!" he said. Slither made a hissing noise of joy, her long tail wagging. "How about you?"

015 tilted his head. "What do you mean?"

"Your name. What about your name?" Slither questioned. 015 flicked an ear. "I'm sure we'll find one in the future." Slither nodded and jumped back up into the trees, and the two continued.

Over the next few days, the two learned to hunt. Slither was the first to jump into the river in an attempt to catch a fish- she succeeded. She looked so proud of herself, it was adorable.

015 was clever in hunting larger prey, his first being a buck. He learned to dive from above and take the prey out by surprise with his talons. His huge falcon wings came in handy when it came to stunning predators, as well as the end of his tail (there was a plume of feathers instead of fur). While Slither focused on river fish and crabs, 015 went for deer, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, and mice.

One evening, 015 and Slither were enjoying a meal of fish and rabbit, tearing off the scales and hide to get to the meat, until Slither looked up. She paused, noticing a falcon fly past ahead, then looked at her brother's wings. He noticed her staring and looked up from his food. "What?" he asked, his mouth half full. She lunged forward and grabbed his shoulders, excited energy alight in her eyes. "I got it! I got a name for you!" she squealed. "Peregrine! Like the peregrine falcon!"

015 paused and tilted his head, thinking over the name for a few seconds. Then he smiled. "Peregrine...I like it," he purred. Slither squeaked happily and wagged her long, snake-like tail, beaming. Peregrine laughed softly at her, though his laugh was somewhat rough and unsure- he had never laughed before.

Slither flopped back into the grass, happily mewling like a kitten. "Peregrine and Slither!" she exclaimed, proud of their new names. Peregrine chuckled softly.

"It's perfect!" his sister giggled joyfully. Peregrine hummed in agreement and smiled. Content, he looked up at the sky as his sister kept fangirling.

A falcon and a python, an odd duo, don't you think?

=

(That ending sucked I'm sorry)