Chapter 1

Your eyes shot open. Your entire body was trembling, your heart was pounding like crazy and sweat beaded on your forehead. You had just awoken from a terrible nightmare. They had been haunting you in your sleep on a regular basis ever since you got here. To this... camp.

The cold winter breeze was wafting through the room. You were lying on a mattress on the floor, many other people around you. It was dark and silent. You were freezing and your right eye was burning like hell. The camp doctor, Dr. Mengele, had injected something in it the other day. Now it was all red and swollen.

You started thinking about Mengele. He always acted so nice and caring towards you, and if you were being honest... you actually thought he was very handsome. But on the other hand, you knew that you were just his guinea pig. You'd known that ever since he stuck that syringe in your eye.

After you had calmed yourself down, you tried to fall asleep again, but to no avail. Then you came to a decision:

You needed to talk to Dr. Mengele. Now.

You knew the way to his office, but you also knew that the entire camp was under high surveillance during night time. One step in the wrong direction and you would be killed. But you decided that you would take the risk. What is my life worth, anyway?

You got up from your mattress slowly, without making a sound. Then you carefully made your way to the door of the barrack, tiptoeing in between the other sleeping people on mattresses. When you reached the door, you turned around one last time. Good, I didn't wake anyone up. In case I won't come back... I love you, my friends.

You put your hand on the door handle, slowly pushed it down and pulled open the door. Thankfully, it didn't creak. You sneaked out of the barrack and didn't dare to close the door again, fearing it might clank and alert the guards.

~

Somehow you'd managed to get into the main building. Wow, luck must've really been on your side.

Your heart was pounding heavily as you stood in front of Dr. Mengele's door. You hesitated, thinking about whether you should really do this. Yes. I need to. But... what if he's not even here anymore, what if he's in a bad mood or...? Eventually you took a deep breath and knocked.

The reply came almost instantly: "Ja?" It was his voice. Your heart started beating even faster. With a shaking hand, you reached for the door handle and carefully pushed it open.

The office was almost completely dark. You could see the full moon outside the window, shining brightly from the night sky and casting its light down into the room. Mengele was sitting on his desk on the left side of the room, filling out some papers he had in front of him. He was still wearing his perfectly clean lab coat with a SS uniform under it, and his well-groomed dark hair was shining in the twilight. So beautiful..., you thought to yourself.

You stood in the doorframe for a couple of moments until he raised his head and noticed you. A smile appeared on his face. "Y/N! What are you doing here? Come in," he said.

You gulped, stepped into the room and closed the door behind you. Now you were all alone... with him.

"Come here," he said, pulling out the chair next to him.

You slowly started to walk towards him. His presence made you so anxious and nervous, but at the same time... you felt sort of attracted to him. Even though he had caused you so much pain.

You sat down on the chair. He wrote something down, then laid his pen aside and turned to look at you. Your heart missed a beat. He smiled again, showing his tooth gap.

"Well, what brings you here at this late hour, Liebes?" he asked.

"I... I woke up from a nightmare, and... I just wanted to see you," you stuttered in response.

He had turned around while you talked, and when he faced you again he held a bonbon in his hand. "Here, take this," he said and held it out to you.

You took it, your hand still shaking, and started to unwrap it. Mengele watched you silently for a couple of seconds, then asked: "How are you?"

You hesitated with your answer. "M-My eye... it burns so much..."

"Hm... let's see." He took something from his desk. Your fear increased, but then you realized that it was a penlight. He lifted your eyelid a little and pointed the light at your swollen eye. It hurt, you let out a small whimper. He studied your eye very carefully. "Mh... nothing," he mumbled to himself. "Are you still able to see?"

"Y-Yes, but very blurry."

He turned off the penlight and put it away. "Don't worry, it's going to be okay."

You shut your eyes tightly for a moment, your right one started to water from the direct contact with light. You still wondered what he had injected into it and why, but you didn't dare ask.

Now you finally put the bonbon in your mouth. You quickly decided that it tasted very good. Cranberry, your favorite flavor.

You sucked the bonbon until it had dissolved in your mouth. There was silence for a moment, then you spoke up: "Dr. Mengele?"

"Ja?"

"I... I would so love to go home."

He chuckled a little. "Yes, me too. But we have to stay here just a little longer. Everything's going to be okay, Liebes..."

He reached out his hand. You shut your eyes in fear, but the next minute he was cupping your face and gently wiping away the tears dripping from your sore eye with his thumb. You couldn't help your heart skipping a beat when you felt his hand on your skin. You slowly opened your eyes and looked straight into his face. He was smiling a little and his beautiful brown-green eyes were glistening in the dim light of the room. Is this a dream or is he really... comforting me?

"You don't have to be so afraid..." Mengele said in a calm voice, noticing your shaking body. He continued to caress your cheek, you tilted your head into his touch and looked straight into his eyes. And for the first time since you got here, you saw something else in them. Nothing evil, nothing murderous, nothing angry... Compassion? Was that it, could it be?

His fingers wandered a little more to the right, into your H/C hair. You remembered, he had allowed you to keep it. He gently stroked it and played around with a couple of strands. "You have such pretty hair," he commented. You blushed slightly. "D-Danke..."

After a while he moved his hand further down. You gasped slightly when his fingers trailed over your exposed neck. It felt... really good. You shuddered at the sensation.

His hand slowly went down onto your arm, moving along it. You didn't really understand why he was doing this, but you had to admit you were enjoying it. When he arrived at your hand, he gently took it into his and squeezed it. When you looked up, you saw that he was smiling again. You did, too.

"If I leave here, I'll take you with me," he whispered. "I promise."

---

Let's just see if it stays here.