The Beauty and the Beast

Reader's POV

    I was walking to my local library to pick up the newest volume of (fav/book). I was thinking of the new places where all the characters would go when I heard a voice say, "Hey sweet stuff, want some of this?" I instantly panicked and froze. I am such a goody-two-shoes that any confrontation can be overwhelming for me. I put my head down and started to speed walk away.

However, I did not get far when I felt a hand grab my wrist tightly. "And where do you think you're going." I took a big gulp and looked up, to my surprise to see 4 boys, taller and bigger than I am, surround me. The same boy said, "I think you didn't understand what I was saying. I said.." He then punched me in the stomach and I hunched over in pain. "You. Want. Some. Of. This?" The boys around him chuckled. I then made the biggest mistake of my life. I punched him. I honestly did not think of the repercussions of this and immediately regretted my decision when I saw his bloody nose and the new scowl on his face.

"Oh, you are gonna regret that babygirl." Then two boys grabbed my arms, I screamed, but could not get much out since another boy covered my mouth with a rag so I couldn't scream. What were they gonna do, beat me or rape me or...kill me. I started sobbing and pleading with them through the rag to let me go. The boy laughed stating, "Yeah well too late for that now."

He then started punching me and kicking me throughout my body. The pain started coursing through my stomach, legs, arms, and head. The other boys let go of me and I fell to the ground feeling all 4 starts to hit me. I was sobbing so much and noticed that my vision was fading. Just when I thought I was going to die, I heard a female voice say, "Hey, what are you punks doing?"

Bernice's POV

I swung my bat around my shoulder and grinned, today will be a good day. JJ had a job for me to do, eliminate that pesky detective from the police department. He is starting to know way too much and that is not something I or the boss appreciate. I started getting on his good side and I do not want to disappoint him.

All of a sudden I heard, "Hey sweet stuff, want some of this?" I then backed behind a corner watching the scene in front of me. Four older boys and one girl around my age. It seems they are trying to harass her. Ugh, boys are so stupid sometimes. I thought to myself, "Honestly, they don't even look that tough. I'm sure she will be just fine." I rolled my eyes and right when I was about to turn around, I heard a smack. I turned to see the girl doubled over in pain with the boy's fist over her. Did he just hit her? Just relax Bernice this isn't your problem. It is just some dumb boys catcalling a beautiful girl..wait for a beautiful girl?

I then heard sobbing and screaming and turned to see the boys pummeling her frail and delicate body. Blood was all over her body and she seemed on the brink of passing out. My blood started to boil and I gripped my bat tightly. I can't help her because if I do, the boss will not like it.

When I noticed that they were not stopping, I could not take it anymore and walk over to the boys. I don't care what JJ says, no one as innocent as her should be getting beat up. At least if I have anything to say about it. When I got up to the boys, I held my bat in one hand and said sternly, "Hey, what are you punks doing?"

Reader's POV

They stopped hitting me and turned towards the girl. I took a glance at her and noticed she looked around my age, with short brown hair and eyes with beautiful red makeup, with a red suit to match. She had a bat in her hands which made me feel dread in my stomach. I saw her look at me and even though I knew she was dangerous, her eyes looked at me with pity.

The same boy smirked and stated, "Well this idiot of a girl did not listen to me. So as a punishment, we were just gonna kill her and leave her here to rot. Wanna join?" I started sobbing again and the boy turned towards me saying, "Hey you better shut your mouth, you got that?" But I could not stop sobbing. The boy walked up to me but before he could hurt me, the lady grabbed his arm and knocked him over with her bat, the boy falling to the ground. The boys and I looked at her with shocked expressions. She then dusted herself off and walked in front of me stating, "Listen, idiots, if you want to get to her, then ya are gonna have to go through me, you got that?."

I looked at her with surprise. I thought to myself, "Is this mystery lady going to protect me?" All four of the boys scowled and ran towards her. This lady was able to beat all four boys up with so much intensity and violence. She was able to knock 3 boys unconscious, but before she knocked the 4th boy out, she stated, "And just so you remember. The name's Bernice and JJ sends his regards." She then knocked him out with a swing of his bat.

At that moment I realized...this girl works for JJ. The JJ from the mafia! She then looked towards me with that same pity in her eyes stating, "Hey miss are you all right." While saying this she quickly walked over towards me which caused me to quickly move away from her, pain showing in my face. I put my shaking arms over my face saying, "P-Please, d-d-don't hurt m-me." She had a sad smile on her face saying, "I won't I promise. Just please stay with me." She then reached out towards me and just before I fell unconscious, I grabbed her hand stating, "Please don't leave me here." The last thing I remember is her shocked face and blushed cheeks.

OMG thank you all for reading this. I felt really nervous posting this since so many people write great things on this website!

So would you guys want a part 2? I honestly loved writing this and I find Bernice to be a fun person to write about!

Please give me any feedback you have!!