Who we Are

"What do you think Thad? Should I go with the purple or the blue ribbon for winter semester?"

Teagan is sitting at her desk next to Lila who has done nothing but bother Thaddeus the entire fifteen minutes they've been here. Ms. Shanks was late today, again, and the students on time were chattering amongst each other.

Well, except for her and Scarrow - that clot was pretending like he's better than them and reading an advanced charms textbook. Where'd he even get that? Teagan's not going to admit she's jealous as she pretends not to watch him from the corner of her eyes every time he turns the page.

He has connections to these things – it's unfair – that textbook looks like a third years. Who'd he bribe to get that, she wonders bitterly.

It's been three months since she started school in Ridgmoor, three agonizing months of competitive studying, avoiding answering her families letter with more details than 'everything's fine, how are you' , and trying - key word trying - to ignore the fact that she hasn't gone to see the amulet in some time.

It also doesn't help since Dr. Core moved the case into his room now . . . what that was supposed to prove, she doesn't know.

She thinks he was stupid for putting it in the very classroom she is in every day but he covers it with a black cloth. She ignores the fact that she can still feel the amulets pull during class thought.

She wonders if anyone else can feel it like she does, she wonders if she should ask someone. But that thought was short lived, she was afraid to ask for some reason – maybe this was all in her head anyway. If it was, she'd be labeled as crazy too – that's all she needs, to be labeled as the Crazy Monicroff. Her father would disown her for certain.

She doesn't think about it anymore.

Besides, Scarrow got ahead of her by three marks last month because of her distraction, so she forces herself to ignore the buzzing in her brain and aims to score top mark this month, can't let Scarrow think he's winning.

"I don't care if you go bald Lila, now stop it, I didn't study the assigned pages last night and I have heaps of catching up to do or I'll bunk this quiz." Thad says, his hands tightening in his hair as he tries to ignore his cousin.

Thaddeus is a procrastinator. Basically he doesn't study until the last minute then he crams. Somehow he manages fairly decent grades anyway. Teagan hates him for that.

"Good afternoon class!" Ms. Shanks finally arrives; she's the only teacher that wears Rain boots inside all the time. Teagan wonders if she owns any normal footwear.

"Now, now settle down, we should have started nigh twenty minutes ago, " She says that like it's their fault they haven't started yet. "There, there, good, good. Alright, I hope you all found last night's chapter on animal curses intriguing. Today we will attempt to learn about undoing spells. That's a spell that will reverse the effect of the curses we shall never use." She hops around her desk and starts muttering to herself as she scratches nonsensical lines on the blackboard.

"But if you should come across a cursed creature it's simple to undo- that is - if you can sense it at all. It also must be under your level, but if it's a higher level curse then," she giggles strangely and slaps her hand on the board revealing a blueprint for casting the charm. "You won't be able to undo a full mages' curse. But little ones will be easy enough for most of you." She flicks her wand daintily and everyone's partner turns into a frog.

Teagan gapes as Lila ribbits from her seat next to her, her eyes flicker up to Thad who looks a bit sick as he looks down at his own partner, Henry Wiggins.