Avoidance of a Problem Solves it

"My dad sent me a basket of chocolate eggs!" Lila says, happily hugging the obnoxiously wrapped wicker basket, the colors of the ribbons are blinding.

Teagan smiles as she watches everyone read letters or unwrap presents from their family members, one girl starts to cry, a boy starts stuffing his face with the bratwurst his family sent him.

"What did you get?" Teagan asks as she notices Thad isn't holding anything.

He shrugs. "They're probably too busy this week - mum might send something next week though." He sounds hopeful.

Teagan can't help the twinge of worry about what she will get as a white bird flutters over her head and drops a letter in her hand.

Her heart clogs her throat as she unrolls the scroll.

Dear Teagan,

This is your mother writing in hopes that you are well. I'm sure the first week has solidified your place in the good graces of all your teachers and the headmistress. Your father hopes to hear from you soon about your place in the Heralds house.

He asks that you do not forget who you are.

Write soon.

Your Mum.

Teagan's hands shake as she rolls the parchment back up tightly, she hasn't written to them - she hasn't told her father that she hasn't gotten into the Heralds and that she is all but struggling in her classes - the ones her father expects her to excel at the most, such as charms - and potion basics.

Maybe she can just avoid writing back for the entire year.

She shudders to think what will happen when she has to go home.

"Tea? What's wrong?" Lila asks, her large dark eyes look at her in concern.

"Nothing." Everything. Teagan smiles, her lips tight. "Everything's fine, Mum was just telling me she misses me. That's all."

The look Thad gives her is sharp and more than a little suspicious.

Lila nods, she's already figured out that if Teagan doesn't want to talk about something - then don't talk about it.

"I - I have to go somewhere - um . . .I'll see you at luncheon." Teagan says, tucking the scroll in her shirt pocket as she rushes off.

She ignores the strange looks she receives as she shoves through students.

Just don't think about this anymore -just don't.

She feels tears burning behind her eyes, wanting go spill out over her lashes to convey her feelings of utter failure.

Then her eyes land on Scarrow.

His brows are furrowed down so far he looks like a grumpy old man as he reads whatever the parchment in his hand says.

Whatever is on that parchment - she wonders if it's worse than hers.

Then his eyes lift and they catch sight of her. He glares.

Teagan's tears freeze behind her eyes and she finds the energy to hold them at bay if only to keep from showing weakness in front of him.

He scowls at her.

She scoffs and shoves past.

"Daddy must be so proud of you."

His words make her freeze in her steps - anger and fear trickle down her spine like thick syrup, her fists clench as tightly as her teeth.

"What's that supposed to mean." She snaps, taking the bait if only so she could distract herself from her misery, she doesn't turning around.

She hears the small little huff of condescending superiority. She's never wanted to punch someone in the face so badly before.

"Or haven't you told him you're not a Herald like all the amazing Monicroffs before you." He says.

Oh - oh he needs to be punched.

"I - what do you know about Monicroffs - you're just jealous because you're a second rate, second place Scarrow!" She says, whirling around, her eyes flaming at him.

Scarrows' pale face reddens as he seethes at her, teeth bared in a growl. "Second place huh - that's not what happened on today's quiz in Dr. Core's class." He bites.

It stings.

She almost flinches. "Oh - shut up!" Not her finest moment but she couldn't care less. "You wouldn't understand success if it slapped you in the face. One battle lost does not mean I am done. Prepare to suffer this year Scarrow."

He scoffs at her. "Right. I'll be waiting forever then."

She has to walk away lest she break his nose.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Just one peek -

Teagan feels that maybe she shouldn't do this - not after Dr. Core had nearly bit her hand off for going near the artifacts but - but she wants to see it, one more time . . . maybe it has answers she craves.

Never mind why.

She lets out a deep breath she was holding and walks as silently as she can towards the case, her footsteps slow and soft so she doesn't echo in the space. Just in case Dr. Core has super hearing and tries to kill her.

She reaches the case, her fingers press against it, the amulet glows from its spot in the soft velvet it's been placed in. The other artifacts resting near it diminish under the bright glow of the Blood stone in the center of the amulet.

Her heart beats in her ears, her eyes glue to the stone and she feels like something is reaching out and caressing her mind- calming her misery and drawing her closer.

What's so wrong about touching it? She wants to touch it - very, very badly. One little touch won't kill her she's sure. Dr. Core was overreacting.

She doesn't even like the man - why should she listen to his rules. He just doesn't want her to know - to find out what this feeling is.

He doesn't want her to touch the stone because once she does, she will have answers she needs.

If only she could find out how to open this -

Footsteps startle her out of her trance. She gasps and dives under the cloth that's covering the table the case is resting on.

The footsteps are heavy and sharp - echoing against the stone walls . . . she holds her breath and waits for them to pass her.

They stop right in front of the case.

A grouchy humph reaches her ears before the owner moves away after a breathless minute.

Teagan lets out a breath and crawls out after a moment.

Her eyes click back to the stone - then a heavy hand grabs her by the collar.

Teagan gasps and comes face to face with Dr. Core's pointy nosed face and fierce dark eyes. She swallows her bile of fear.

"I thought I smelled you." He sneers and tugs her away, she pulls back. "I warned you before, not to go near that case. Now you will be punished."

""No, I wasn't doing anything - sir!" She tugs harder, angry that she has been caught, and desperate to get back to the amulet. She needs to stare at it more -

"Enough!" He shouts.

She freezes.

The sound echoes in the space, rings in her ears. Dr. Core breaths through his nose like a dragon about to burn her to a crisp.

"Follow me." He lets her go.

She swallows thickly and, not having much of a choice, she does. She's pretty certain Dr. Core would have used a petrification spell if she didn't comply with his commands - she tosses one last look in the direction of the case. Later - she'll figure out how to unlock it later.

For now she has more immediate problems to deal with.