Lord Scias wore a similar attire as Waithe, but with the addition of an ascot secured by a gold pin. Ceres' grip on Waithe's arm tightened as Scias' eyes scanned her slowly up and down with an unsavory grin on his face.

He approached and took up her hand to place a kiss on it. "Lady Ceres, you are stunningly beautiful, truly a feast for my eyes." He pulled aside the right strap of her red gown to fully reveal the mark. "So this is the sign of Tau, just like Quar described."

Ceres pulled back and frowned. "Would that be why you spent so much money and time to capture me?"

"My dear Lady, you misunderstand. I only mean you well. As the last Tau, you must be protected. Here you would share in a glorious future. It is your destiny."

"Thank you, my Lord, but I shall choose my own destiny."

"Hear me out, my Lady, and I think you will agree." The chime of a small bell interrupted him. "Ah, dinner is ready. Let us take our seats."

Scias pulled out a chair for Ceres. He then took a seat at the head of the table. Waithe took a seat across from Ceres. A formally clad servant entered and poured wine into their crystal stems.

Scias lifted his glass. "Let us drink a toast to our partnership and a prosperous future for the Realm."

Ceres replied, "I would drink only to a prosperous future for the Realm."

Scias grinned. "Very well. That is a start." They tipped back their glasses. The servant refilled them as soon as they touched back down on the table.

Bowls of a creamy seafood chowder appeared before them, along with trays of warm fresh bread.

Scias turned toward Waithe. "My liaison from the Lake Lands remembered you from long ago. It seems one of their young Shaman ran off with you. Quite the scandal at the time. What was her name?"

"Her name was Fera. I married her and we had a daughter." Waithe tipped his head across the table at Ceres.

"Then how be it that Ceres came to grow up all alone?"

"Fera was murdered while I was off to war. I thought my daughter lost as well."

Scias shook his head. "Incredible. And after all these years you find her now?"

Ceres replied as she swirled a spoon in her soup. "Not so incredible. The Spirits brought us together again."

"Fascinating. The Spirits always seemed so erratic, so unreliable."

"Not so for me." She raised a hand, palm up. A green light appeared above her, circling around and then settling just above her hand, pulsing gently. The guards behind Ceres and Waithe stepped forward but stopped as Scias waved them off. Ceres bowed her head. "My Lord, may I introduce to you to the Life Spirit Phy."

She pointed towards the flower arrangement that decorated the table top. "It seems one of the rose stems has begun to wither..." With a twist of her hand a white shimmer of Magic descended on the drooped rose. The red flower slowly lifted its head back up and the frayed petals tightened into a glistening bud. Two more stems emerged beside it, rising from the vase and extending dark green leaves. Singular red buds topped the new stems, each a rival to the beauty of the bud that preceded them.

A smile grew wide on Scias' face. "My Lady, we were right to request you from the Order."

Phy disappeared as Ceres narrowed her eyes. "I think not. Sold like a slave I was."

The servants interrupted the conversation when they carried in three golden roasted pheasants surrounded by potatoes and vegetables, all arranged artfully on silver platters. A delectable aroma filled the room. Portions were carved and scooped onto three silver plates, then placed before the diners.