Chapter 45

Ceres writhed slowly as she awakened. Her eyes flickered then shot wide open as she noticed the five sets of eyes that gazed down at her. Only one set was familiar, but all were unspoiled by the Darkness.

"Our Lady awakens at last." Waithe tilted back the mug he held to take a deep swig of its contents.

She propped herself up on the bed on an elbow. "How long did I sleep?"

"All night and through most of the morning. Taking long naps after battling the Darkness seems to have become a habit for you."

She rubbed her eyes and grinned. "I see though, Father, that you finally found an ale."

He wiped his chin. "Aye, and a fine pint it is." He motioned at the others who surrounded her bed. "Lady Ceres of the Order of Medice, I present to you Miko, mayor of the fair village of Eule; his wife Hana; and their two daughters. Oh, and to my pleasant surprise, they also be talented brewers of ale."

Miko bowed. "My Lady Ceres, on behalf of my family and my town, I wish to express my profound gratitude. Freed us from a most dreadful curse you did."

Ceres said, "The Darkness it was, that which would curse the whole of the Realm."

"Aye, an appropriate name. I knew not the depth of the dark until the light was restored. We are at your service, my Lady."

Ceres asked, "How did it come to this village?"

Waithe answered for the mayor. "Shaman Raste. He made these people slaves. The silver from these mines be important to finance Lord Scias' army, and apparently, the people here worked not enough to his satisfaction." He turned to the mayor. "Word of the Lady's deed will surely spread."

Mike nodded. "Aye, already has the tale gone far beyond Eule. The Lady becomes a legend."

"I pray you understand, sir, that we must leave soon before soldiers come to investigate."

"Of course. Then let us share a meal, and you may be on your way. But know that our door shall forever be open to you."

*****

An opening in the thick trees allowed a wide view of Welde below. The city sprawled between the sea and the coastal mountain foothills. From this distance far up in the hills, the city seemed more like a blight in the otherwise majestic temperate forest. Smoke billowing from numerous metal smelters and refineries shrouded it in an brownish haze, highlighted all the more by the evening sun setting low behind it.

Ceres turned toward Waithe as they took in the view. "How would we go before Lord Scias and his Shaman Raste? If we would have stayed in Eule, soldiers would have taken us to them under arrest."

"True, Daughter, but Scias' soldiers have not proven themselves honorable or gentle. They may well treat you harshly and, I fear, decide that I be unnecessary."

Ceres' eyes widened. "They would... kill you?"

"They only want you, Ceres. I would be an inconvenience. And there may be some that seek vengeance for others I have already killed."

She pulled up her horse before Waithe and blocked his way. "Father, nay! Then I will go alone. I cannot risk you like that."

Waithe narrowed his eyes at her. "Ceres, we began this together and together we shall end it! I shall not abandon you now. We must go before Scias and Raste in a way that avoids the soldiers."

"How then?"

"I think it be as simple as knocking on their front door." He pointed ahead at a large stone and log building tucked in among tall trees. "Enough of this for now. There be a roadhouse ahead. Let us discuss our plans over dinner and take our rest in soft beds."

*****

After a full meal and a warm bath, it took little time for Ceres to fall fast asleep. After so long sleeping in bedrolls on the ground, the simple beds were a welcome luxury. Waithe turned on his side and gazed at his sleeping daughter, watching her chest slowly rise and fall. He felt a burst of pride at all she had accomplished, then a twinge of dread at what she had yet to face. Sweet memories of the little girl named Aala pushed aside the anxiety of tomorrow and he drifted off to a pleasant sleep.

Waithe spun around in a featureless reality, the empty framework on which dreams were built. The dull dimly lit floor extended in all directions as far as he could see. A golden light appeared in the distance and drifted toward him. He recognized it immediately.

He smiled, "You have returned, my Lady of Light."

She settled before him and caressed his cheek, a soothing warmth flowed through him. The Time Spirit, Aon, hovered above her as a clear globe. "Aye, grandfather. To see you again."

"You call me grandfather. Be you then my Little Eira?"

Her smile seemed to pierce through the bright Magic that shrouded her. "Aye, but not so little anymore."

"How be that so?"

"By Aon's Magic," She pointed to the globe above her. "From the future come I." Her smile faded. "But a very dark and desolate one."

His eyes opened wide. "A dark future? Our efforts come to naught?"

The woman stepped back and lowered her head. "So it was. Ceres, your daughter and the one I would call mother, sacrificed herself in vain. The Taint eventually spread to every corner of the Realm and the End Times eventually came on their own. As Tau, I was the last free soul. Aon held me safe from the Darkness that consumed everything." She turned away, her voice cracked. "So heartbreaking... It took everyone I loved."

Waithe felt his eyes moisten as a feeling of grief washed over him. "Then all hope be lost?"

She caressed his cheek again. "Nay, grandfather. Hope is what I come to offer, it be my one true purpose. I cannot interfere directly in these timelines, that my obligation to Aon, but I can resist the Darkness through you and my mother."

He put his hand over her hand, holding it against his cheek. "What must I do?"

"Darkness flees from light and despair from love. You must do what you always do. Protect her!" She paused. "And love her." The Woman of Light pulled her hand away and stepped back. "Even now she flees to spare you from her fate. The future is never certain, but this I know surely, she must not face the Darkness alone!"

Waithe jerked himself up in his bed. Only a wadded blanket now laid atop Ceres' bed. He stepped into his boots and sprinted out the door, making his way to the stables behind the inn. He arrived as the wooden gate swung open. In the dark, he could just make out someone leading a saddled horse out.

Waithe folded his arms and narrowed his eyes. "Going somewhere, Ceres?"

Ceres jumped at his voice and spun around. The wide-eyed shocked look on her face transitioned to teary guilt as she turned her face down. Her voice faltered. "Father, I..."

He opened his arms wide and then closed them around her as she leaned her head against his shoulder. "My dear daughter, alone you would fall to the Darkness. Only together do we have a real chance."

Her tears dripped onto his shirt. "Forgive me, Father. I just could not..."

"I understand. Your heart be good." He pulled back and placed his hands firmly on her shoulders. "But swear to me that you will never, ever, try this again!"

She nodded slowly. "I promise."

"Good. Let us return to the inn. I think a date with destiny requires at least a good breakfast."