Chapter 6

Tears now freely flowed down Marra's cheeks. Kane placed his hand gently on his wife's shoulder. "Be it too late?"

Ceres paused, then replied. "No. I will try. But your son is very weak. Do you have any food?" Kane shook his head. She turned to Waithe. "Please bring in my medicine bag and some of our food."

Waithe returned with the requested items. Ceres took out a selection of herbs from the leather saddlebag and placed different mixtures into two cups, then ground them into fine powders. Water was then added to make two soupy pastes. She held up one of the cups.

"These medicinal herbs are enhanced with the Spirit Phy's Life Magic. Marra, this one is for you. To save your son I must also strengthen you. It contains a vitality tonic with an ingredient to stimulate milk production. But you also must eat your fill, for without proper nourishment the milk will still not come."

Marra nodded and downed the potion, tightening her lips and scrunching her eyes to the bitter taste. She then sat down at the table and began to eat the flatbread and dried fruit that Waithe placed out for her.

Ceres picked up the second cup. "This one be for little Jad if he would take it."

Kane cradled his son in his arms. He used one hand to gently pinch open the baby's mouth and the other to pour in the potion, drop by drop. Some leaked out from the tiny lips, dripping to the floor. The baby hardly reacted. Waithe's eyes moistened. He then knew what Ceres had not said aloud, that the baby was near death.

Kane pulled back the cup. "I think he took some."

"Good." Ceres sat down on the floor cross-legged and held her arms out to the baby. She rocked him gently in her arms and cooed. "Are you ready, little Jad? It is well time we rid you of this curse." She looked up at the nervous parents. "Please sit down next to me and put your hands on your son. I would need your help to call on the Spirits."

Waithe noticed Marra and Kane still carried apprehension on their faces. He spoke gently to them. "Be of good hope. The Lady Ceres removed the Taint from me."

Waithe sat down behind Ceres and whispered in her ear. "Would Ker resist you again?"

Ceres whispered a reply. "I do not know. But if she does, you know what to do." She spoke louder now. "I will call on the Life Spirits Phy and Dal. Dal is particularly receptive to little children." She took a deep breath. "I would like all to plea silent prayers for healing. Let us begin."

Ceres closed her eyes and began to hum quietly. For several moments nothing happened. Phy appeared first as a green light, then Dal as an amber light. The lights sparkled as they circled each other in a sort of slow dance. Marra and Kane looked on in wonder. Then the air around Ceres began to shimmer in tiny gentle sparks.

Waithe smiled. Visions of his lost daughter, near the same age as Jad, came to him again in vivid detail.

The baby girl propped herself up on her hands. With a tiny grunt she pulled her knees up under herself and lurched forward, falling back down on her belly. She did it again, moving a tiny step forward each time. A smile came at her accomplishment, no longer would the small rug confine her. There was a world to explore! Waithe scooped her up with a laugh before she reached the crackling fireplace.

The Spirits hovered about Ceres, and slowly, wispy dark tendrils rose from baby Jad, dissipating into the air. This continued for several more moments until there were no more. The baby began to squirm and whimpered faintly. The dancing lights faded away.

Ceres opened her eyes. "It is done. But he is still weak, and I think hungry."

Marra choked back sobs of joy as she cuddled her son. She bared a breast for Jad to nurse, the sounds of suckling, at first faint, then came with gusto. Kane put his arms around both of them and wept.