Chapter 33

Waithe reached to the saddlebags across his horse and pulled out his sword in a single motion. He flashed it at the men, causing them to back up a step. Eira trembled in the saddle as he handed her the reins with one hand. With his back to her, facing the men that threatened them, he pushed the horses back toward the brush edging the stream. Waithe hoped this would keep the men from completely surrounding them, leaving him between the men and the little girl.

Waithe spoke softly to her. "Eira, listen carefully. When I tell you, ride as fast as you can back to Ceres. Would you do that for me, little one." She nodded in a jerky motion, her eyes moistening.

Thorne stepped closer, holding his sword low. "No woman will save you this time, Waithe." He pointed his sword up at Eira. "Certainly not this little one. Who knows? She might be a good pet."

Waithe narrowed his eyes and slowly spun his sword around at the men who flanked him. "So, who wants to be the first to die?"

Thorne took a step back. "Perhaps we may avoid your death. I have a business proposition for you. That wench that saved you the first time, a woman of the Order? It turns out she has a substantial bounty on her pretty head. Lead us to her and I will spare your miserable life. And I shall be generous, I will spare the little girl as well. What say you, Waithe?"

Waithe's eyes blazed at Thorne. "I say... you shall be the first to die."

Thorne tilted his head and the men started to advance with their blades before them. Waithe lifted his sword on the ready and looked for an opening to attack. But the men stopped and looked up, their eyes widening. A green light pulsed above Waithe.

Waithe turned to Eira and whispered, "Did you call Phy?" She shook her head.

The brush behind them began to twist and grow, making a crackling sound. The branches extended on two sides of the horses but cleared away behind them to form an escape route. Now Waithe had only that space directly ahead of him to defend.

Another light appeared overhead, this one pulsing light blue. Waithe smiled as he recognized it - Lyr, the Elemental Spirit of Water. And there was a stream nearby. The men took another step back and cast their gazes at each other, unsure of what to do.

Waithe lowered his sword. "Leave now Thorne, and you will be spared." He grinned. "Although, you all be sorely in need of a bath."

Thorne creased his eyebrows and flared his nostrils, blowing out an audible breath. He yelled to his men, "Cut him open!"

Four columns of swirling water rose high from the rain swollen stream, turned, and slammed into the men that charged Waithe. The force of the water sent them sprawling across the ground and gasping for breath. Before they could stand up the water reformed into a wave and struck again, this time pushing them across the rocks into the stream and carried them away.

Alden appeared through the brush and grabbed the horses reins. "This way, Eira." He pulled them back through the opening created in the brush to safety.

Thorne let out a battle cry and charged toward Waithe, slashing down his sword as they met. Waithe locked blades and pushed him back. Thorne swung again but cut only air. Waithe had anticipated the strike and stepped to the side. He took advantage of the opening and thrust his sword into Thorne's side and then just as quickly into his chest.

Thorne stood for a moment with his eyes wide and jaw lowered. The rusty sword fell from his hand and clattered to the rocks. His eyes glazed as he slumped down to the ground.

Waithe took a deep breath and whispered to his vanquished foe. "Our issues now be resolved."

Ceres emerged from the brush and ran over to embrace her father. Waithe dropped his sword and wrapped his arms around her, grinning. "My dear daughter, protector be my duty. I just cannot have you save me so often."

She smirked at him. "Well, someone needs to protect the protector."

"I be truly grateful. How be it that you and Alden come to our aid?"

"We saw these men on the road going your way. I recognized the one you call Thorne. So we followed."

Eira came bounding out from behind the brush and jumped into Ceres' arms. "Ah, my little one. I am so happy to hug you again. You and your grandfather seem to have a knack for finding trouble."

Alden came out next, leading four horses. Waithe came up to him to grasp one of Alden's hands and with the other to pat him on the back. "Well done, Alden."

Alden cast his eyes around to the small crowd that had gathered around them in a wide semicircle. "It seems the presence of a certain wanted Lady of the Order is now known. Best we leave this town."

*****

Aftera day and a half journey, the group made it to the high mountain pass. Waithe rode down from the hill that overlooked the rough road ahead to join the others, his horse kicking up clumps of mud and wet snow behind him. He handed the borrowed scope back to Alden.

Ceres asked, "What see you, Father?"

"The checkpoint lies just ahead at the pass. Four soldiers patrol it. Be you sure the Spirit Lun will heed your call? A confrontation be not in our interest."

Ceres glanced down at Eira who shared her saddle. "Shall we find out, little one? Lun often be unresponsive, but twice has she come to me."

Ceres handed her horse's reins to Alden, closed her eyes, and began to hum softly. Eira copied her. In a moment a green light appeared and flashed before them.

With her eyes still closed, Ceres shook her head. "Nay, Eira. Tell Phy thank you, but leave for now. Lun can be a jealous Spirit and I know Phy does not like her. Best we call her alone."

Eira tightened her lips. Phy made a circle around them and disappeared. A few more moments passed and nothing happened.

Ceres let out a puff of air. "More insistent we must be, little girl."

After another moment a gently pulsing orange light popped into existence above them.

Ceres nodded as she opened her eyes. "Let us proceed."

Waithe took the lead with Alden pulling the other horses along with him. Lun floated above Ceres and Eira. Hooves splashed through small rivulets of melted snow that crossed the packed rock and gravel road.

The checkpoint appeared as they rounded the hill. A long wooden pole spanned a notch between two massive granite rocks at the pass. Steep rocky mountain slopes to both sides discouraged any who would think of bypassing the checkpoint. Two black-uniformed guards sat under a small nearby wood-framed pavilion, seemingly uninterested in the travelers who approached. Two other guards rose, raising the pikes they held. They lifted their eyes and creased their foreheads at the orange light that floated above.

As Ceres lifted her hands, a gray mist emerged from the Spirit and descended on the guards. Their eyes widened in surprise, but then their eyelids became unbearably heavy. They dropped their weapons and slumped down to the ground. Sounds of snoring came.

Waithe smiled. "Well done, my wonderful Ladies."

After lifting the pole that blocked their way, he and Alden dragged the sleeping guards under the shade of the pavilion, laying them side by side.

Waithe patted one of the guards on the head. "Sweet dreams."

As they continued down the road, Alden asked, "Won't they report our intrusion once they awaken?"

Waithe shook his head. "Unlikely. If they be like most soldiers they would not, lest they be reprimanded for sleeping on duty."

His grin faded to a more serious demeanor. "We be in Kust now, the land of our enemy."