Chapter 57

Kori tapped on the cell door bars, accompanied a seamstress with red gown draped over one arm and a suit over the other. Two servants panted as they hefted a wooden stave tub down the hallway. She motioned to one of the guards to unlock the door.

Ceres stood and lifted an eyebrow. "What is this, Kori?"

"My Lady, we are to prepare you for dinner with Lord Scias."

Gazing at the slinky gown, Ceres curled her lip. "I have no want for such fancy dress. I shall not be put on display for him."

Kori dipped her head down and her chin trembled. "I am sorry, my Lady, but Lord Scias insists. He gives you the choice of this dress or naked in chains."

Ceres gulped as she turned toward Waithe, who nodded slowly. "Not much of a choice, have I."

After enjoying the warm scented bath, Ceres pulled on the dress as the seamstress made final adjustments while Kori brushed and styled her hair. In the meantime, Waithe took his turn for a bath and then put on the black suit brought for him. He rubbed his fingers across the fine silk of the shirt and jacket.

Ceres dipped her head and blushed as she stepped out from behind the screen. The silky red dress clung tightly to her curves, flowing down to her ankles. It featured a plunging neckline between her breasts and a high slit up to her thigh. It was not unlike the one Madam Devere had her wear while escaping from the Overlord's prison disguised as a prostitute.

Waithe lifted her chin. "My dear daughter, I know this be uncomfortable. But I tell you truly, this dress does not define you." He turned his head toward Kori. "Would you give us a moment?"

Kori nodded and led the staff of servants out of the door.

As Ceres lifted her eyes to meet his, he whispered, "The dress risks something more important than modesty, it would also reveal that you are no longer Tau. They must not know. Be there a way to cover where the mark would be?"

She tilted her head down to gaze at the clear skin near her right collarbone, where the Tau once resided, and where the dress now left bare. Her eyes shot back up. "It cannot be covered, but we may recreate the mark." She retrieved eye-liner from the kit left by the servants and handed it to Waithe. "Draw it on me."

After a few moments, Ceres examined the mark. A small smile came to her face. "Thank you, father." She stepped back and gazed at him in his suit. "If I may say, you do look quite dashing."

He pivoted back and forth. "Once this all be done, I may acquire such an outfit for my own."

*****

Ceres took hold of Waithe's arm as Kori led them through the palace and up a flight of stone stairs. Two guards followed behind. Their steps echoed off the polished marble floor and the stone block walls. Kori looked back as she came to a massive oak door covered with ornate carvings. After a nod from Waithe, she motioned to the two guards that flanked it.

Stepping first inside, Kori announced, "My Lord, the Lady Ceres and Waithe Rand."

Ceres pulled her lips tight. In another place and time, the lavish dining hall would be truly impressive, but here, like the mansion itself, it seemed an obscene excess. Carved stone arches supported a glimmering golden ceiling, warmly illuminated by three hanging crystal candelabras. A long wooden table dominated the room, the top polished so shiny that it looked wet. A large flower arrangement dazzled with bright colors from the middle of the table. It was large enough to seat dozens, but only three places on one end were set with fine crystal and silver. Two guards stood at attention on both sides of the table.