•15: In Perfection•

Chapter Fifteen

Sharon's POV

"No way!" Number One gasped.

"Ugh," Number Two scoffed. "Yes way, baby girl. Wake up!"

I walked past the two parrots, my mind wondering for a second whatever was the new gossip flying around the school hallways again. Last week, it was that SOJ's guy who had been expelled was now into cyber fraud and was already filthy rich in the space of just two weeks. The ringtone on the lips of Prescottians last week was, 'School na scam!' Almost all the senior students were  arguing on the belief education was no longer the way to a better future.

I didn't blame them. In a developing country like Nigeria, you go to school to earn money. No one really wants the knowledge.

I reached my locker and dumped all my books in it. My eyes gazed at the books that were believed to help me and every other Nigerian student become somebody in life. What was the essence of going to school, really?

The bell was rung. Assembly time. As I shut my locker close, my eyes met Mrs Abudu's stern gaze. I hurried away.

First period was over soon enough. I was glad. Economics was not exactly my favourite subject. Unlike some people, I reasoned, eyes fixed on Oyindamola, Queen, and Sam's heads as they worked on one of the quiz questions Miss Bukola had dishes out to us as homework. Since Dami had stepped out of our classroom to use the lavatory, I had no one to talk to. Indy didn't offer Economics, and Victor... Well, we just didn't flow well together in conversations.

And I don't need Queen's bombastic side eyes right now.

I cast my eyes to the window and let my most prominent thought sit on my mind's throne.

"November 4th, 2019."

Shalom's birthday. I hadn't been aware until the day's date was mentioned at the assembly by the principal.  I tried, and I really did try, to maintain a semblance of joy. I didn't want anyone asking me any questions. The struggle within me had begun again, and it was very real.

A lot had happened lately. First of which was the return of my nightmares. I wasn't dreaming of Mayowa appearing and touching me as much. My dreams were more centred around thieves and armed robbers who came asking for my underwear. Another pair of underpants was stolen last week! It happened on the day after my little picnic with the guys on the field! While I was still on cloud nine.

It was clear there was an intruder, and it scared me to death. I didn't tell Dami about the second occurrence, but I have stayed in her house for most of the nights of the previous week. When I returned from school one day to find pieces of broken ceramic on the kitchen floor tiles, my fear became a solid Iroko inside me.

Now, my sister was having her birthday today, but I wouldn't see her. I didn't jump on her bed this morning like I did in our growing up years, when Dad was still around to take us out as a family on a birthday date. I wouldn't prank her with banana peels on the kitchen floor or have a sleepover in her room with her best friend, Aina.

The small chuckle of regret that bubbled up my throat tasted bitter like barf in my oral cavity. Aina had fled their friendship when Shalom had opened up to her about Mayowa and what he was doing to us. That was not the end. Aina told all of Shalom's secondary classmates that she was no longer a virgin as she made them all believe by her gentle appearance.

Aina betrayed Shalom, and I joined the list when I ran away in June.
Our last argument that last Friday before I'd gone to John Heights for the last time, and fled the next day ran in my mind. I'd mentioned that she had gotten over what Mayowa did to her because she still found the strength to do those things that made her...her. Those unique things that made her Shalom.