•11: In Tune•

This chapter is dedicated to AishaOAdamu for the lovely cover at the top.

Before you read, I want to take a minute to say that I really appreciate you. I wouldn't really be doing this if you weren't there to read it. Knowing that there are people interested in my work so much that they would wait to read a new chapter, especially when I wasn't so competent with releasing new ones, is really humbling and special to my heart. I sincerely, truly love you. Thank you for being part of my world.

•••
|Chapter Eleven|

Sharon's POV

With the sweetest smile I could muster, I cast a smile in Mrs Olaniyan's direction.

"Thank you so much, Mummy," I spoke sincerely.

The love in her eyes floored me as she smiled back and reached out to rub my arm. For the past one week, I had taken to calling her Mummy. From the way she always smiled, I knew she loved it. In truth, Dami's mum was like my own mum. She truly cared, and whenever there was something wrong that she noticed, she always ensured her availability for me. If only my birth mother...

Ah, ah, I berated myself. Forget, remember? Old things are passed away.

After church, I had waited to see the pastor. When I asked him to, he prayed with me, asking God to receive me once again as His daughter, and that my life be rededicated back to Him. He led me to talk to God, and I confessed to God that I had returned to sin and that I needed Him to fill me and make me whole again. He spoke to me about letting go of the past and embracing God's gift of a new dawn, because my life had become just that.

A new dawn. A new horizon.

I smiled even wider as I turned back to my meal.

Feeling eyes on me, I didn't look up. I knew he was smiling, too. He had been smiling since he squished me in his arms in church earlier in the afternoon.

The chatter of the family around me filled me with a feeling of happiness and nostalgia all at once. I couldn't deny that I missed my family. I silently prayed to God that I'd be able to forget Dad's death and the disunity that ensued after.

I gulped down some orange juice.

"Sharon," Dami called me. She was sitting opposite me.

I watched her expectantly as she chewed and swallowed.

"I'll be going to Queen's place later in the evening. You want to come?"

"Not interested," I muttered, trying to stop myself from frowning.

I had thought she noticed my silent rumination, but, of course, Dami was thinking of same old Queen.

Don't be jealous.

"Whatever," I whispered, quickly piling some rice and vegetable stew in my mouth when Dami stared at me.

"You didn't answer me, na."

She didn't hear? "I have stuff to do. Can't go with you, sorry."