CHAPTER 10

***
After months of failed attempts to generate a cure to heal the infection we stopped, now focusing on staying alive and thriving.

Each passing time a constant struggle to survive in the mutating monster inhabited  world.
We only focus on gathering supplies like weapons and food.

We were tired of this planet, but also resented the idea of being one of them, it wasn't an option at.

Currently residing in the Steel reinforced lab it seemed like the safest place to be, little did we know we were being observed, ever since they mutated they began thinking, they became smarted as time grew, all the time we thought we were studying them, it turned out they were studying us.

With Hannah practically the pack leader, she was the smartest of us all, I guess you would say staying focused in school actually paid of for once.

Kaitlin being the smallest one she was an advantage to us, she could get into the small spaces, those hard to reach spots, whether its between a building that toppled over and fell as without being maintained the structure started to fracture.

Jake was more of the chef, that's the only thing i found comfort doing, it was his safe haven.

Well me? I was the tech guy, i could fix anything with a plug in it. Even those on wheels.

Jess, i don't really know what she did best, but was fierce, the monster turned her to a hurtles person, they killed her family while she watched.

We were typically a group of misfits which also proved as an advantage as we all had different skills and different weaknesses.

The monsters on the other hand, had no weaknesses, garlic doesn't work to repel the zombies, instead its harsh strong smell gave us off to the werewolves.

***

I start tinkering with my phone, i know its useless cause there has not been any service since the first day of the infection, i play my old music and tears trail through my cheeks bringing ne back to the old days
"There is no time to cry"
I say to myself wiping my tears.

I decide press the FM RADIO  app, and it starts scanning for any channels i throw the phone on the hard metallic table Laid  on the floor which i used as my bed,
"it's hopeless" i groan under my own breather
To my surprise, it tunes in on a channel, and voices can be heard through the noise
"Hello, hello...are there any survivers around. This is one of the members of the KZN survivers sector. We are running low in food, if anyone is out there... Please help" the words sound muffled as the noise from the unclear  radio channel roars as though its raining.
A second voice is heard in the background "Give up Jacob, there is no one out there, how would they have survived for a year?"
The first voice still continues, "if anyone is out there, please help, we are located along the outskirts of the province, along the national N3 highway, you will find it if you'r human" that was the last i heard then the radio station died out.

I screamed out all the air my lungs had contained
Which led to all the other members running in with their weapons.

"Bobby what happened" Hannah asks with her eyes frenetically looking around for any danger.
"nothing, i think we are not alone" I say with excited glooming from my eyes
"oh cool, i think he finally lost it" Jack says sarcastically walking away, "Bobby I think we know that, have you not noticed the zombies outside?" Kaitlin rolls    
Her eyes and walks away the same direction as Jake
"No, there are other survivers around, i heard them" with that statement Hannah's eyes widen behind her lenses just like a child in a candy store.
Footsteps started thumping louder, racing towards the room, both Jake a Kaitlin racing to hear the great news.

"what???" they both say in sync
"yeah, they are on the outskirts of the province along the N3, but they requested us to bring with us food, they are tunning low."

"well at least now we have direction, i suggest we make a move on at dawn when the infected least expect it." Hannah trails off going to sharpen her knives and gather supplies.

"but we don't know many they are" Kaitlin states and Jake nods in agreement with her statement
" well then we grab as much as we can" i say trying to scan again, in hopes of finding something else