CHAPTER 4

I make it past the few couple of days. Occasionally returning home to seek shelter. I reached a point when I'm not sure what home is anymore. The infection seems to get worse and I get tired of waiting.

Thoughts flood my head ''what if they are still alive somewhere and stranded and I'm just waiting for them to return?'' I quickly shove all the supplies inside the car and I head off to the patrol station one last time for a quick fill. I then drive off. The usually heavy populated highway is quiet...way too quiet.

I drove faster.

I felt my heart pounding harder and faster, from the corner of my eyes I see a dark figure standing,stalking me from the tree lines, then before I know it. It jumps!
I jerk the steering wheel to the right and it hits the left side of the bonnet. The impact separates the werewolf's head from the half mutated body. It's lifeless eyes rolled backwards and I scream in horror, I drive faster than before and jerk the wheel from time to time, trying to avoid the werewolves, they seem to only have one objective...to kill.

My windscreen still blurred by the Scarlet blood stain, I quickly think of a safe place to stop, a place that they won't expect anyone to be...well they can't think. I guess school is the only place they won't be heading to..."who would?"I laugh alone trying to distract myself from what had happened a moment ago.

I soon reach school and take out the kitchen knife I took from my kitchen the first time the infection came up. I park in front of the main gate and cut the engine. I stay inside the car for a while and survey the area for any signs of werewolves, I remove the thought of vampires as they only appear at night.
I make my way out with my knife at hand, I see a car within the premises. Hope fills in me and that pumps me to jump over the gates quicker. I walk up to the assembly area and head by the office.

I hear shuffling...
I slowly twist the cold silver door knob and gently slide the door open...I firmly grip the knife in as I see a shadow in the distance and I head for it...the shadow quickly stops.
'its just around the corner' I tell myself and just as I'm about to approach. I'm hit in the back of my head.

I fall forward and my head pounds and thuds in pain. I hear two female voices and I open my eyes. It's Hannah or as I like to call her 'Rose', with her, a little girl.

"I'm so sorry Bobby I thought you were one of them"she says.
"Yah nice to meet you too" I grin in pain

The girl...who is she? I ask.
"I met her on my way here. She was in the bushes and I couldn't leave her" Hannah concludes.

I stare at Hannah for a brief moment, amazed with the strength she shows, she looks so confident, yet doesn't show any signs of fear. Her large curly hair tied in a bun and her her glasses still firm on her face...
"Amazing" I stutter

"What's that?" Hannah asks? And I brush it off. "I like your outfit" I laugh sarcastically at her white shirt smudged in Scarlet splatters of blood and yellow pants and black sneakers and a black leather jacket to finish the outfit.

We head out and she looks at me in confusion. "Wait... Bobby? How did you get here?" She asks. "I walked here Hannah" rolling my eyes and laughing. She takes a step back and she looks at me defensively. "BOBBY ! I'm serious, for all I know you could be infected!".

I laugh and put my hands in the air in a surrendering gesture, "chill Hannah. I was joking. I drove here, my car is parked outside"

"Nice...a ride!" she exclaims and we all hop in and drive off while discussing our next plan.