We walked out of the house leaving Shay behind with Monica, when we got outside Jackson waved from the front seat of his truck and I hopped into the tiny rental car. I followed Jackson and Olivia a lot easier than I did Liam and I was thankful for that.

We drove further away from town down a small winding snake road up the rocky mountain roads. Set against the cliffs was a large white mansion with a hedges near the entry way, I gawked at the massive building just as Jackson pulled in. I followed and parked my car next to theirs with my heart racing inside my chest. This was the first time I would see Lucas after he was avoiding me for almost three days. I took a few calming breaths to settle my nerves and then got out of the car.

Jackson looked towards the house and then shook his head, "They're probably in the backyard and I'd much rather use the side entrance than try and find my way through that maze."

Olivia laughed, "Scenic route it is!"

Olivia and I followed close behind Jackson down a cobblestone pathway next to the house reaching a wood fenced gate. Jackson pushed the gate open and we all followed through to decked out backyard. A large oak tree stood proudly in the center with a group of guys setting up the grill in the shade. To the left there was a patio that led into the big home with sliding glass doors around it. The lawn was green and freshly cut, the smell of cut grass still lingering in the air mixing with the smell of a hot grill.

It didn't take long for my eyes to spot Lucas, or his to spot me. My breath hitched as I followed Olivia to where everyone was standing under the oak tree. Just as we reached them Lucas turned and walked to the patio grabbing a beer.

Olivia tugged at my arm, "Katelyn you already know Layton and Liam but this is Nathan and Ryan." she pointed out the two guys standing closer off to the back with a gleam in her eyes.

I couldn't help but internally rolling my eyes, Olivia was like Diane always trying to match me up with someone. Little did Olivia know I couldn't care less whether these two guys were just as attractive as the rest of their little group because my stupid heart would only beat louder for one guy.

I tried making small talk but my nerves were shot and my heart wasn't really in it and I wrung my hands together when Lucas came back. He didn't give me so much as a hello and I tried to convince myself that the hurt I was feeling was completely irrational.

"Let me introduce you to Chloe," Olivia said pulling me towards the patio.

The blonde woman lying on one of that patio chairs looked up just as Olivia and I walked over to her.

"Hey Ollie and friend. Too much testosterone for you down there?"

"Way too much!" Olivia laughed, "what's up between Liam and Lucas though?"

Chloe sighed, "You know how Liam gets on everyone's nerves. That guy could make saint contemplate murder."

Olivia and I both laughed when suddenly Olivia gasped, "Oh shoot, where are my manners? Chloe this is Katelyn, Katelyn meet Chloe."

Chloe tipped her head, "So how did you get pulled into all this crazy."

Olivia and I took the seats next to Chloe and I shrugged my shoulders, "Lucas is fixing my house, turns out my mom knew his mom when they were kids."

Chloe nodded her head once, "I take it that's the watered down version?"

"That's the family friendly version!" I joked.

Chloe's lips broke out into a huge grin, "Where's the fun in that?"

We spent the next twenty minutes discussing everything from politics to guys to shoes. I realized that Chloe had been friends with the guys for the last four years and before that she couldn't stand the. There was pain in her eyes that she tried to hide but I could see it. Once you went through something that breaks you, you're able to spot it easily in others. There was dark circles under eyes that her makeup couldn't cover and I saw straight through her tough facade.