Truths revealed

Egar flew west, to the volcano. The volcano earned the name Tartarus as the biggest volcano in the continent and was said to be the birthplace of all the fire creatures. This was where Egar hid the egg, the place he knew no mortals can reach because of the heat. 

Egar swooped into the heart of the volcano, where the light of the lava enveloped him. He perched on the crack close to the boiling liquid and found the egg where he has left if 500 years ago - the pearly egg shining in the dark. The egg that created all the chaos. Egar carefully enclosed the egg into his talon. 

Hey there, there is someone who really wants you to wake up. I'm against it but you better behave yourself. 

Egar could swear he felt the unborn creature stretching in the egg, waiting for another trouble. 

.

Egar was pleasantly surprised to see Maya awake and eating when he returned. 

"Are you alright?" Egar sat next to Maya, checking her temperature. It was only lukewarm. Maya sniffed a burnt scent in Egar's clothes and coughed a little. 

"Yeah, really good." 

Egar hugged Maya in his arms, feeling a heavy rock lifting up from his chest. 

"Young one, you scared me to death." 

"That seems to be a norm these days so I think you should get used to it," Maya laughed, teasing him. 

"Don't jinx it," Egar shook his head, ruffling the young one's hair. He was just glad to have his usual Maya back now. Sweet, healthy, and full of burden. 

Maya's eyes lingered to what Egar was holding in his hand though. The egg the size of a softball, its shell a unique combination of opal and pearl. 

"What is this?" Maya asked. 

"I traded this for you," Egar sighed. 

While Egar was explaining what happened with Karian, Maya's eyes were fixed to the egg. She was lured into the egg's presence almost immediately, like a motherly instinct. 

Take me. 

Maya reached out for the egg almost in a trance. 

"Nuh-uh, don't listen to it." 

Maya snapped out of it when Egar backed away. 

"The creature lures the magician in to get any mavis possible. No doubt it especially likes you, calciber." 

Maya carefully traced the egg's shell with her fingertips, now more alert. 

"It's warm," Maya whispered. 

"Of course, it's a living fire creature. But a dangerous one."

"You sure you want to give it to Karian? I mean as the first council member and all, she should be the most qualified person to have it but still......." 

Egar hesitated as he put the egg in a reed basket. 

"I made a promise. I will have to deliver this to Karian." 

"Do you want me to go with you?" Maya was just about to stand up when Egar gently pushed her to the bed again. 

"You should concentrate on getting better. I will be quick." 

Egar softly kissed Maya on the lips. Maya smiled as she wrapped her arms around Egar's neck, relishing the smoky scent that she missed. 

.