Lust or hunger

The Book of Dragons page 371: 

The barbaric nature of dragons can be seen from their mating as well. There have been multiple occasions when a dragon was found dead during mating because his or her mate would attack the dragon to devour on its corpse for mavis. 

Maya ached all over when she woke up. She fumbled for her glasses only to realize that the bed was empty. She was alone. 

"...Egar?"

Maya tried to sit up but winced as the pain hit her for real this time. Her swollen lips were throbbing and her neck was bruised and sore. Her shoulders were covered with bloody scratches. 

She finally found her glasses and put them on. She saw Egar staring at her, sitting at the far corner of the room. 

"...good morning?" Maya asked uncertainly. 

Egar's eyes were stern and deep as he sat motionless in the chair. 

"You're hurt." 

"It's not too bad," Maya flexed her arms a little, trying not to make a face as a dull pain radiated through her shoulder. 

"That's not the point," Egar snarled. "What were you thinking?" 

"What were you thinking?" Maya countered. She wasn't going to let Egar blame everything on her for last night. It was the beast who kissed her first, after all, this stupid feeding system they made. 

Egar sighed as he ran his finger through his hair slowly.

"This...whatever is happening...cannot work." 

"I didn't expect it to be easy either," Maya murmured. 

Egar snorted as he rolled his eyes. 

"Tell me one thing that is not wrong in this mess and I will hear you." 

Maya fell silent as Egar stood up, pacing the room, frustrated. 

"What were you thinking, young one? You're putting yourself in real danger. Especially when your mavis is so low that I'm always hungry anyway. I'll lose myself and god only knows what I might do next time." 

I might end up killing you.

Maya didn't dare to protest as she sensed fear in Egar's voice. She knew she was being impulsive last night and yes, she was probably being too reckless. Probably overestimating her familiar's control for hunger at least. But the confusion in her head demanded an answer, and she got it last night.

The memory of the beast almost eating her alive last night was Egar's answer. 

The fear in Egar's voice in the morning was the answer. 

Egar was right. This was a bad move Maya shouldn't have made. 

What would the council do if they learn that the dragon has been hurting Maya? It will be definite proof to confirm Egar as dangerous and kill the dragon when the code of vocamen has been broken. And the last thing Maya wanted to do was to give all the more reasons why Egar should be eradicated. 

"I don't want to hurt you," Egar stopped in the middle of the room.

"...I understand," Maya muttered. 

"You're just confused, young one. You're full of hormones and kissing a hot figure like me every night so I understand, alright?" Egar managed a joke and Maya chuckled back nervously. 

"It will be safer...if we reduce physical contact as much as possible from now on. I know a potion that can enhance mavis temporarily. We can try that for now," Egar said, asking for approval.