Incredibly Incompetent

Maya dived to the side of the bed to grab her staff but had no idea what to do from then. 

Run? What if Egar begins to follow her and hurt people along the way? 

Put spells on Egar again? 

Maya wasn't sure if she had enough mavis to do that. Most of the time, she needed more than ten minutes to enchant another rune on Egar and they were fairly simple ones such as shutting Egar's mouth up. And she sucked at all the other forms of magic. 

Egar growled, the restraining runes almost breaking to pieces now. 

"...sorry, Egar!" 

Maya did the only thing that seemed reasonable for her now. She thwacked Egar on the head with her staff. 

Whack! 

The sound of broken wood filled the room. 

Egar fell to the bed on his side, dazed. With the remaining broken chains that hung from Egar's wrists, Maya frantically tied the beast again to the iron bedpost. When Egar regained his strength a moment later, he slashed and snarled like an animal. However, this time, the iron didn't bend like the wooden bed frame and hold its place. 

Maya leaned her back against the wall, panting. She slowly walked to the table where the dagger for her potion class laid. 

"Don't move, Egar," Maya whispered as she gripped the dagger, the sharp edge glistening in the moonlight. 

Maya sat down in front of Egar, aiming the dagger at the beast's body. Egar growled louder as he saw the weapon, realizing his vulnerability.

"I said, don't move," Maya repeated. 

With sharp inhale, Maya carefully cut down Egar's shirt, laying it ripped open to expose his torso.

"It's alright being hungry," Maya muttered as she hugged Egar tightly, kissing the dragon on the lips. 

The warmth radiated from the two raw bodies embracing each other. Maya felt the racing heartbeat of the beast as her ear pressed to Egar's chest. Egar sighed as he felt the trickle of mavis entering his body through his skin, relishing as he felt the burning pain of hunger soothing down a little. 

The room was silent as they both stared at each other in the dark, letting the air cool down.

"Your head, is it alright?" Maya asked, touching the side of Egar's head where she smashed his staff into. 

"Yeah, I'm fine. That was sacrilegious though," Egar laughed.

Maya's face turned bright red as she turned her head to see her staff on the floor with a big crack in the middle. 

"Young one, the staff is for using magic, not to use as a club," Egar teased. 

"I suck at magic. I wish I were better," Maya whined, burying her head in Egar's chest. It smelled nice, a scent of firewood and sweat. 

"I know young one, I know." Egar closed his eyes, sighing.

"That might be the only way I can save you from this hunger," Maya muttered. 

Egar knew from the state of Maya's low mavis, it would be impossible to properly feed him, let alone enhance her magical ability any further. However, somehow, Egar wanted to give it a shot. There was something powerfully enchanting about Maya that he couldn't name and if he were to name it, he would only describe it as fate. 

He was in love with this incredibly incompetent magician.