Popular

"One, Two-"

Maya swung her staff too early and Egar closed his eyes in pure frustration. 

"At FOUR, listen to my instructions, oh my GOD-" 

Egar rubbed his eyes, already fed up with teaching the young one. 

The winner of the Familiar Competition are chosen with two criteria: grades and a signature magical move a magician can produce with the familiar. 

Grade-wise, Egar knew they stood no chance when they looked at Maya's devastating grade report. Seriously, this kid should have been kicked out of this school a long time ago. 

However, if they can show some cool fire manipulation magic, Maya might come out as not too much of an idiot in school. At least, that was what Egar was hoping for. 

Maya yelped when Egar spewed flame into the air, sighing. 

"Alright, young one. What's holding your concentration back?" 

"Um....I'm....kind of afraid of...burning myself?"Maya weakly smiled, holding her staff. 

"Are you SERIOUS? You're a summoner of a dragon - a natural fire creature," Egar rolled his eyes. 

Maya bit her nails anxiously. 

"And STOP biting your nail!" 

Maya immediately put her hands down, embarrassed. 

"...Alright, I now know how elementary you are with your...magic. Let's start with something simple instead." 

Egar stepped closer to take Maya's hands.

"Ok. I want you to concentrate all your magic into your hands and your fingertips." 

Maya blushed when she felt the warmth of Egar surrounding her hand. She imagined the warmth spreading to her entire hands, like a crawling vine. 

Noticing Maya's concentration, Egar slowly moved Maya's hands so that it was rubbing each other. 

"Oh!" 

Maya's eyes opened in surprise. Fire sparks were raining from between her fingers. It felt like she was holding shooting stars in her hands. 

"See? It's not that hot. Get used to that most basic fire magic for today." Egar ordered. 

Maya nodded her head in enthusiasm. 

.

.

Maya devoted the rest of the afternoon practicing basic fire magic under Egar's watchful eyes. After dinner, she was already tired to the bones. She fell face-first into the bed, knocked out. 

"Hey, little one. You need to take your robe off," Egar said, sitting next to Maya. 

Ignoring Egar, Maya crawled into the sheet, ready to sleep. Egar slid next to Maya, blowing the light out. 

The room was dark and quiet until Egar broke the silence apologetically.

"...I'm hungry, Maya." 

Maya heard a growl coming from the creature's stomach. The beast hasn't received any mavis since the morning and he was starving. 

So at least twice a day, Maya thought to herself. Might as well get used to it now until the Council figures out how to break the vow. 

"Alright, come on," Maya sighed. 

Maya closed her eyes as Egar leaned forward, hesitantly matching his lips onto hers. Egar's breath faintly smelled of smoke and firewood. 

I'm just feeding him. He's hungry. He's just my familiar.

Maya chanted the three sentences like a rune in her head. The chanting didn't help Maya to stop blushing when Egar pulled away. 

"Thank you," Egar whispered, turning his head away from Maya. 

Maya laid in silence, sensing the dragon next to her slowly falling asleep. 

Look, it's just business. 

Maya muttered inside her head. Despite her tired body, her mind was wide awake. Maya looked at the curve of the beast's body, listening to the beast's faint breathing echoing in her room. The warmth of the beast was finally luring Maya to sleep when she heard Egar murmur in his sleep -

"Reia..."

.

.

Egar still remembered the day clearly, even though it was more than 500 years ago.

The girl was staring at him with bright eyes, her red hair blowing in the wind. The breath of his fire encircled the girl and torched the ground to ashes but the girl stood smiling in the flame.

"I'm sorry, beast. All the fire in the world cannot burn me."