Chapter 28: Tell Me The Truth!

Amelie Chaudoir wasn't a bad person, not like her husband anyway. She was never a goody-two-shoes, she would do things like petty crime and would sometimes find herself wound up in bad business. She new the crime world of trespasses and of robbers, and when she met Lucas Hansel, she knew she wanted more, she, of course had no idea of the danger she was getting into.

She moved on from her life of running around the back alleyways of Lyon's buildings, and stealing from Lyon's little shops, she was now part of a world that she didn't understand. She could say that 'It was all for love', but she always had her doubts, especially when she was told that the man she was to marry had a daughter and a wife before that. If that didn't annoy her enough, the fact that he had lied to her about his ex-wife's death was another flaw entirely.

A few hours after her encounter with James Moriarty and Astrid Wingham, who Amelie could now call step-daughter after hours of thinking it through, Lucas came home. As soon as Amelie heard the familiar steps of his shoes on the white tiled floor she rushed out of her temporary spot where she had been thinking her thoughts, and sprinted up to him. Before he could say anything to greet her, she furiously slapped him across the face.

"Fuck! What was that for?" he growled and Amelie continued to look at him like a predator stalking it's prey.

"You lied to me!" she yelled, "You fucking bastard!"

"What are you talking about?" he frowned and walked into the kitchen confused. Amelie followed him, still fuming, into the kitchen, "what's the matter with you."

"You told me she died of lung cancer!"

"What's wrong with you?" he furrowed his brows together, "who are you talking about?"

"Your wife."

"You?"

"No the other one," she growled and a sigh of realisation dawned upon his face.

"She did die from lung cancer."

"Not according to your daughter." she said enraged.

"My daughter-"

"She was here earlier, with none other than James Moriarty!" she shouted and Hansel frowned even more, still the lady continued, "Tell me the truth! Tell my how my step-daughter's mother really did die."

"Slow down, Amelie." he put his hands on her shoulder's to stop her ranting, "what did she say?"

"She said you shot her in the head."

"Why do you care?"

"Because we're supposed to be married, we're supposed to trust each other, tell each other the truth," she sighed, not even attempting to break free of his grip. Hansel frowned, still extremely confused, he rubbed his wife's shoulders comfortingly and muttered a small 'sorry' and walked around the island in the kitchen to put the kettle on.

"So, she was here?"

"Yes." The French lady grumbled, still quite annoyed.

"What did she say?"

"She was quite reluctant at first, James asked me what I knew about you from before you met me."

"And..." he urged her on.

"I said that I knew a bit," she tucked a hair behind her ear, "he asked if I knew if you'd been married before."

"Yes..."

"I said yes," she smiled a little, "and they also asked if I knew that you had a daughter."

"And you said yes?"

"Of course."

"What else?"

"Well, that I always wanted to have a daughter."

"Why are you really mad at me?" He questioned all of a sudden and Amelie frowned.

"Because you lied"

"Yes but why else?"

"What do you mean?"

"Is it because I killed her?"

"Maybe." She said shyly, and Lucas grimaced and shook his head.

"I warned you about this." The kettle clicked and the devil turned and poured some of the hot liquid into a cup. He looked at his wife and shook his head like he was disappointed and left the room with his beverage, leaving the little French woman shaking at the kitchen table.