Epilogue

"Hurry up Damian we're going to be late!"

"Just a moment!"

"Damiaaaaan!"

Raven's husband popper his head around the door, "Beloved, I'm trying!" But where did you put the socks?!"

"I don't know!", Raven threw her hands up in the air, "Just hurry up! We'll be late for the party! Kori'll have my head!"

From their bedroom came the triumphant 'Aha!' of found socks. Seconds later, Damian was out of the room, socks on, and dressed for the occasion- semi-formal in a grey blazer, black turtleneck and slacks. Raven handed him his phone and slipped on her pumps. As she brushed a ribbon of deep purple hair out of her eyes, the sunlight caught on the silvery band encircling the fourth finger of her left hand. It wasn't complicated in design- simply silver in colour and emblazoned with a single amethyst in its centre. The metal, however, was something quite extraordinary. It had been melded from the tip of Damian's fractured katana and a long-cherished dagger of Raven's.
An identical item nestled in the base of Damian's ring-finger, a twin of his wife's.

The two looked at each other for a moment, that signature look before they made the same decision each time.

"Car?", Damian half-heartedly suggested. He knew the answer already.

"Portal."

Upon arriving, the two were greeted ecstatically by Koriand'r, "Damian, Raven, you're here at last!"

With shame, the couple noticed that they'd been amongst the last to arrive. Of course, Stephanie and Tim would always be the very last to come (Tim would never take less than half an hour to be persuaded to leave his computer). The first, naturally, was Bruce. He would never contemplate the idea of being a moment late.

With Tim and Steph arriving at last- greeted by Cassandra's rolling eyes- the celebration could begin.

The room was immersed in black. Then, Raven's part. With a flick of her hand, the candles lit. Each face was illuminated by the flames, none more so than the closest to the cake, the recipient of the congratulations and the purpose for the occasion. From ear to ear, Mar'i smiled even brighter than her mother.

At once the off-key singing began. Damian would cringe more than was humanly possible, but he would sing along too.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to Mar'i! Happy birthday to youuuuuu!"

With the cheers Mar'i Grayson bless our all her ten candles in a great breath, making a silent wish from the bottom of her heart. Her aunties and uncles would nag 'What did you wish for? What did you wish for???' but she knew she wanted that to herself, primarily to avoid the 'awww's she would get.

Honestly she couldn't wish for a better family- so she wished that everyone she loved would always be safe...not a very certified thing when the entire superhero community was her family...but it's the thought that counts.

The little girl ran up to Damian, "Uncle uncle!", and she gave him a huge hug. "Guess what? I'm ten now!"

Damian's jaw hung open in mock shock, "NoOo, really?!"

She nodded firmly, "Uhuh!", then grew instantly shy and dug her toe in to the ground, "Uncle Damiannnn...did you and aunty Rachel get me anything...?"