The Origins Of Pride And Terrible Attacks

You might be wondering; is there more to pride than rainbows and parties? Yes!

Each June people of the Lgbt community celebrates the rights to live as their true selves, while recognizing those who don't yet have that freedom, and to acknowledge the decades long struggle of lgbt people to be recognized as full and equal citizens.

Why is pride in June? Lets take a trip back to 1969 to find out.

It was an early morning on June 28th 1969, police raided Stonewall Inn, a long-standing gay bar in New Yorks Greenwich Village. At that time, Lgbt people were persecuted for this reason, so police started hauling the costumers out of the bar. Some of the patrons began resisting arrest, and the clash escalated as tensions rose. Bystanders began throwing bottles at the officers, and a riot broke out. The riot lasted for three days. For the first time, people who hadn't previously been involved in Lgbt rights stood up against persecution.

The Stonewall riots turned into a catalyst for the Lgbt Rights Movement, which resembled the Civil Rights Movement, or Womans Rights Movement in many ways.  The movement launched organizations such as the Gay Liberation Front and the Gay Activists Alliance, which held protests, met with political leaders, and disrupted public meetings and events to hold leadership accountable.

One year after the Stonewall riots, the nations first gay pride marches were held! Brenda Howard, a bisexual New York activist nicknamed the "Mother Of Pride" organized the first pride parade to commemorate the one year anniversary of the Stonewall riots. In 2016, the area around the Stonewall Inn, still a popular destination for the Lgbt community, was designated a national monument.

Brenda Howard:

Remembering Those Who We've Lost

We're gonna go back in time again. This time, our year is 2016.

June 12th, 2016. This dreadful day was the day, Omar Mateen, a 29 year old security guard killed 49 people, and wounded 53 others in a mass shooting inside Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando Florida, U.S. Orlando police department officers shot and killed Omar after a three hour standoff. The incident was deemed a terrorist attack by FBI investigators.

It is the deadliest incident in the History of violence against Lgbt people in the U.S, and the deadliest terrorist attack in the U.S since the September 11th attack in 2001. At the time, it was the deadliest mass shooting by a single shooter in U.S history, being surpassed by the Las Vegas shooting a year later.

Every June, take a moment to remember the ones we lost. The orlando shooting and the first pride parade are big events in our history, so your job as being an Lgbt person, is to honour those who died to fight for our freedom.