Preparing for War

Start from the beginning

Peace asked the dreaded question, "Where's Toothless?"

Hiccup looked at us with a heartbroken expression on his face, "I didn't find him. I-I almost died looking. It became too risky because Grimmel found out I was there. He didn't know it was me. He just knew it was a Night Fury which is probably even worse."

"Well, I guess we really need to start preparing for war." Hiccup nodded sadly. 

3 weeks later

We were almost ready. We were sending a Terrible Terror out today to see how close Berk was to being ready to sail. And to let them know that we were ready. Hiccup hadn't cheered up, but he had turned his sadness into a rage that could burn down a forest without using fire.

He had prepared weapons for him, Astrid, Heather, and Eret. Repaired and strengthened their armour and weapons. Creating so much of the antidote of dragon root that he ran out of jars. He thought of thousands of plans. He worked himself hard to make sure everything was ready. 

Then he decided that he needed to strengthen himself in his human form and in his dragon form. Working himself until he fell asleep.

We all worried about him. Especially Astrid. She was the only one who could get him to take a break. And even then he only stopped for half an hour at most.

Grimmel better be ready because Hiccup's rage could take out every ship and obstacle that stood between him and Toothless.

Delta's POV

We were heading out tomorrow. I was ready.

"Delta! Come here for a minute, would you." That was Dad.

"Coming!"

I walked into the house, "So. Delta. I know this is a lot to ask. And I really wished there was someone else who could do it, but there isn't. I need you to command our armies."

"Me?" I looked at him in shock. Why wasn't he commanding them?

"Yes. You. I can't because half of our army consists of dragons. They need to be able to communicate their problems directly to their commander as well. Also, as future chieftess. It is important that it is you."

Not this again! My dad had turned his back on me.

I ran out the front door.

"Delta?"

I called Dimflight, a mostly black female Stormcutter, to help me.

"Thank you!"

"What's wrong, princess?"

"Please, just call me Delta. What's wrong is that my dad keeps wanting me to take over as chief soon, but everyone knows that Hiccup should be chief, not me. Fishlegs has wanted him to be chief since, as long as I can remember. Rowan never wanted it. Snotlout would be a terrible choice. The twins would destroy the village within an hour. Astrid would also be a very good choice. So, it would either be Hiccup or Astrid. My dad just can't see that. My mom understands, though."

"Ahhh. That makes sense. Your parents always choosing your path for you."

"Tell me about it."

Rowan came and flew up beside us, "Delta! Dad's looking for you."

I just waved him off.

"She already knows, Muttonhead!"

I chuckled. The dragons love using this term. It's one of their favourites. Rowan held up his hands in surrender and Forestflame chuckled as well.

"If I might suggest, Delta. You might need to cool your scales and fly a bit. This war is really getting on all of our nerves. Especially yours. Sometimes you just need a minute to yourself."

"You're right, Forestflame."

I jumped off of Dimflight and immediately turned into a Night Fury. I let myself fall towards the water. At the last second, I spread my wings, pulling up and spiralled back into the clouds.

"Delta, if I didn't know any better. I'd say you'd been flying your whole life." The others nodded agreement.

"Rowan! What are you doing up here? I thought I asked you to help me find Delta!" I turned and somehow managed to keep my jaw from dropping. It was my dad on his Rumblehorn Skullcrusher. I was still surprised that he had bothered to show up to any of the training sessions.

"I thought I saw her fly up here on Dimflight."

"Not to mention that he's up here, too," I mumbled. Rowan shot me a look.

"Well, clearly she's not. Wait... Is that a Night Fury?"

"Thanks for finally noticing me, dad."

"Yes, she is. Her name is-" He paused not wanting to say my actual name.

"Twilight." I supplied. Not the best, but better than Hiccup's. Blackmoon. I rolled my eyes at the memory and shook my head.

"Her name is Twilight." He finished.

"Nice name. Anyway if you see Delta let her know."

As soon as, dad was out of ear-shot Rowan asked, "What, in the name of Odin himself, did dad ask you?"