chapter twenty-three

Start from the beginning

"You boys look so handsome!" I gushed, pinching Alex's face.

"Little undressed are we P?" Alex asked, poking fun at my penguin pajama pants.

"I was getting dressed when all these people showed up in my room. Can't exactly get changed with an audience."

"I mean..." Trevor trailed off as Jamie smacked him and I ran off to the bathroom.

I quickly put on my outfit and rejoined the crowd in my bedroom, grabbing my socks before putting on my brown booties.

"Has anyone heard from Jack?" I asked.

"He left not long after you last night and that was the last I heard from him." Alex said.

"I really hope he's not sleeping." I said nervously.

"Maybe he's meeting us at the restaurant." Jamie said.

"No he was supposed to meet us here, he's driving me and my brothers." I said, pulling my phone out of my bag to see if he had texted me.

"No need to panic, I can always drive your car." Trevor said.

I called my boyfriend and waited anxiously for his voice.

"Hello?"

"Jack, where are-?"

"Nah, I'm just kidding. You've almost reached Jack Hughes, you know what to do." His voicemail said as I scoffed and waited for the beep.

"Jack, where are you? Everyone is here and were supposed to leave in five minutes. Call me please." I said, hanging up.

"He was really nervous about this last night, there's no way he would have slept through it." Alex said.

"What even is this fancy breakfast anyway?" Trevor asked, sitting on my bed.

"Every year my parents have this breakfast for my whole family at the end of the summer to celebrate their anniversary, my grandpa's birthday, and whatever other random things we decide to throw in there. This year, my Dad couldn't find a weekend that he was in town when my Mom was in town at the same time so this was the first one available." I explained.

"They're really fun, its always catered by the most amazing places and her family is so awesome. You guys are gonna love it." Marley added.

"So it's like your whole family?" Trevor asked.

"Yeah, just about." I said, stuffing my purse.

"Got any hot cousins that like hockey players?" He grinned as I reached over Nick to flick him in the ear.

"Peyton," Brady said from the door. "We gotta go, Mom and Dad are gonna freak if we're late."

"Where's Jack?" Liam asked.

"Your guess is as good as mine." I said, tossing Trevor my keys. "Let's go Zegras, you're with us. I'll meet you guys at The Pier." I said, referring to the restaurant.

Brady, Liam, Trevor and I lead the way down the stairs with everyone behind us. After everyone was out I set the alarm and locked up. Jamie and Nick took Nick's car while Marley hopped in with Alex.

"You can ride with Alex like you planned Trev, I can drive." I said.

"Don't worry about it, I got you." He smiled as we all jumped in my Jeep.

We rode off to the restaurant right on the water of Newburgh Lake that you can look out across the water as you eat though big glass windows and doors that they leave open when it's warm. The parking lot was filled with the cars of my relatives as we pulled in and I had still yet to hear from Jack.

"Anything?" Marley asked as I got out of my car.

"Nope." I said angrily.

"Here lies Jack Hughes..." Alex teased, making Nick laugh.

I lead the group as we walked into The Pier and were greeted by my smiling parents.

"There they are!" My Grammy rejoiced at the sight of my brothers and I.

As my friends greeted my parents my brothers and I began to greet our family and the group quickly caught up for introductions.

"Is this the boyfriend I've heard so much about?" Grammy asked, referring to Trevor.

"Oh no." I said as Trevor nervously laughed.

"No, I'm Trevor Zegras ma'am. I'm a very good friend of Peyton's." He said, shaking my grandmother's hand.

"It is very nice to meet you Trevor. But where is the mystery boy you've been hiding from us?" Grammy asked me.

"Yeah Peyton, where is he?" My snotty cousin, Amber grinned.

"Hell be here." I forced a smile at Amber.

I pulled out my phone again checking for messages from Jack but nothing. I quickly became more angry as more and more people were confusing Trevor for Jack and I had to keep explaining myself.

"Honey, wheres Jack?" My mom asked me.

"I don't know, and if one more person asks me I'm gonna lose my shit." I snapped.

"Okay, let's calm down." Trevor laughed, rubbing mg back. "He'll be here."

I sighed and ran my hands through my hair as Trevor laughed beside me. I heard the door open and looked up to see my boyfriend dressed in a suit scurrying through the door.

"Uh oh." Alex said, noticing my face.

I stood up and walked over to Jack angrily.

"Where the hell have you been?" I asked.

"I overslept, I'm so sorry. I was up late last night and--"

"My whole family has been asking for you all day, if one more person asked me if Trevor is my boyfriend I will lose it." I said.

"Mhm, Trevor." He said.

"What? Whats wrong with Trevor?" I asked.

"Nothing. Let's go, I'm excited to meet your family." Jack said, taking my hand.

After I introduced him to everyone my mom wanted family photos, since it was an anniversary party after all. It seemed like forever taking pictures, my family, my cousins, my grandparents, eventually it was me and all of my friends.

"You too cool?" Alex asked me, referring to me and Jack.

"I'm mad but it's not worth an argument. He seems upset though."

"What about?"

"He had a weird reaction to Trevor."

"Oh shit..." Alex trailed off.

"Alex...."

"I can explain."