30 | Anger

Noah

Noah

|

When I arrive to work, I make my way into the ICU. I am excited for Maria, my first official patient being a Doctor in a Hospital. I arrived, and I got thrown right into the OR.

"Knock. Knock." I say, actually knocking on the door. "Good morning, Maria." I smile, walking up to her head.

"Doctor McGuire!" Maria's parents say, smiling at me. Maria gives me a small grin, not looking too happy honestly.

"You excited for today? You are finally leaving this dreaded wing." I raise my eyebrows, trying to lighten the mood in here.

"But I can't go home," Maria says under her breath, reminding me of Phoebe.

"No, but you get your leg at the end of this week! And you start physical therapy. The days will fly by until you can go home." I smile, hearing a knock on the door. I look over, and it's the nurse with a wheelchair.

"Let's go to your new room." I excitingly say as I help Maria out of her bed and into the wheelchair. Once we get her in, I grab the blanket and cover her legs. She still doesn't like to show that her leg was amputated.

I decide to push Maria, following the nurses into her new room. It has a large window looking over New York City. It has a couch next to the bed, a big TV and a stack of good books the Nurses pulled together. I roll her to her new bed, helping her into it. Once we are settled, everything is being hooked back onto her. Since she is still recovering, she still needs to be monitored.

While I am hooking her IV bag, I get a page that I'm needed in the OR. I tell everyone goodbye for now and head upstairs. I put on the gear I need to wear past the thick red line on the hallway.

"What's going on?" I ask a redheaded Nurse exiting the room in covered protective gear.

"There was a shooting, and the bullet is travelling up this women's body. Strangest thing ever." The Nurse chuckles, walking away from me.

A bullet is what?

I go into the room, before the actual OR where I press the intercom. "A bullet is what?" I repeat to Doctor Leah Miller and all the other people in the room.

"Doctor McGuire, a bullet is travelling up her leg, into her abdomen and will enter her heart. We have to stop it before she dies." Leah says, hurrying to take another X-Ray.

I quickly put on a surgeon cap, tying the mask over my face and scrubbing my hands. I enter, and a nurse places a pair of sterile gloves onto my hands.

The bullet is in her vein, currently passing her abdomen. It is moving slowly, but not slow enough.

We open up her up, carefully looking for the silver bullet. We are so close to shopping it, but it bypasses Leah.