19 | Puzzled

Phoebe

Phoebe

|

"You okay?" Noah whispers, making me nod my head. "How about we get you back into bed?" He gives me a small smile, his large hands leaving my face and is now on my lower back. Noah moves the covers from the bed, and I crawl into bed. Once I am comfortable, he pulls the covers over me, and he tucks me in slightly. By the look on his face, he looks confused on why he just did that.

"I have to go to work, but if you need me, please don't hesitate to call me, okay?" Noah smiles at me and walks to the door. "Get some sleep." I close my eyes, and I fall asleep to the sound of him walking away from the closed door.

* * *

When I wake up, my eyes are heavy, and my throat is dry. I cough, trying to relieve my throat. But no luck-

I get out of the warm bed as my ribs never fail to remind me that they are healing. I hold onto my side, walking to the kitchen and pouring myself a glass of water.

I close my eyes as the cold liquid soothes my throat. But my eyes still feel puffy and heavy- I walk into the bathroom, cursing at myself as I lean into the sink and splash cold water onto my face. I wipe away the water and look at myself in the mirror.

The bruises are almost gone, except the one on my forehead and the one on my lip. I don't want my sisters to see me like this... This reminds me that I need to book the hotel.

I walk into my room, remembering the event that happened this morning right in front of my bed. I catch myself biting my lip at the thought of being that close to Noah last night. I could smell his body wash, mixed with his cologne. I shake my head, grabbing my phone and calling the hotel.

After ten minutes, I booked the hotel suite for a whole week right in the heart of Manhatten. It was expensive, but anything for my sisters... and anything for them not to meet Noah-

I have had too many things to do since I was put into the Hospital. My emails are way behind, and I know my coworkers are picking up the slack- Noah doesn't want me to go back to work- but I really want to.

I head back into my room, grab the computer charger and put it into the socket near the kitchen island. I plug in my laptop, looking over at my cellphone and I noticed Noah had not touched it. My computer turns on, and of course, a million notifications pop on the side of the screen. I look back over at my phone, hesitating as I grab it and call Mia. After a few rings, she answers.

"Hello, Mia Birmingham from New York Times. Who do I have the pleasure of speaking to?"

"It's Phoebe Marshall," I answer, knowing what she is going to say next...

"Ah. Phoebe." She sighs, popping her gum. "Are you ready to get back to work?"

"In a few days, I am ready for anything." I smile, grabbing my ribs.

"I am so glad you said that!" Her voice is giving me a headache. "Mason quit instead of going on the assignment I had planned." She sighs, "So when you are back, it's all yours!" I practically smile, listening to her say that.

"I knew he wasn't going to last." I honestly say, "What is it?" I ask, looking up as she lets out a long deep breath.

"Well, since you have experience documenting two wars. I am sending you to Yemen." She pops her gum, "No one else wants to go due to all the horrible things happening over there."

"I- Um." I stuttered, not sure what to say.

"We will talk about the details later! I've got to go. Bye!" She hangs up on me, leaving me puzzled.

I sit there, staring at my phone, not sure if I can take my work across the country. I haven't been in the warzone in over four years. Plus, Noah warned me that since I don't have my spleen anymore, that my immune system is compromised. A ding goes off, and it's an email from Mia filled with the information I need. I look at the email and my mind shifts to what Noah will do when I tell him. 

-

• If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote and answering the questions below

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote and answering the questions below. •

-

* AUTHOR'S NOTE *

Hello, guys!

Sorry for the short chapter, but I was having major writer's block. But I hope you enjoy it!

Questions:

1. What do you think Noah will do when Phoebe tells him about Yemen?

Thanks!

- Anna