chapter 5: practicing and convincing

warning/s: language!

////

The next day had arrived. 

Adrien Agreste opened his locker to reveal stuffed toys, love letters, snacks and sweets, and other memorabilias piling up inside. He hummed his favorite songs as he reached for the newest gift he had received. It was a chocolate cupcake with icing and a cherry on top. He appreciate the gifts, he really do, but sometimes it can be quite overbearing and suffocating receiving this many presents. 

Meanwhile, you and Nathaniel were huddled by the corner, watching Adrien's every move. You couldn't actually see what he was doing because it was hidden by the locker door. You looked at Nathaniel nervously, not really sure if you could do this. You told yourself a hundred times that you could face him without your heart beating fast, but right now, you're not even facing him yet your heart is already speeding up. 

"Hurry up," Nathaniel whispered beside you. You sighed in defeat. You trudged towards his locker. The cold crisp of air hit your skin, and it made your legs shiver. You squeezed the end of your shorts. 

You were now a foot away from him and you just need to announce your arrival. Should you clear your throat? No. Should you say hi? Ugh what if my voice cracks? Should you just run away and waste this precious opportunity? Yes. 

So you turned around and went to escape, but you didn't expect Nathaniel to block your way and pushed you harshly towards Adrien's locker door. It caused a loud ruckus. You quickly stepped back. You heard a continuous beep. Oh no. Oh no, oh no, oh no! 

121, 122, 123- 

With your mouth agape, you swiftly hid your device behind you. You waited in panic. Adrien's head popped out of the locker door and turned to look at you. You noticed that he has a bit of icing on his nose. "Did you change your mind?" His eyes seemed to smile at you. 

You managed to give him a nod. You tried to subtly slap the device in your wrist to make it stop but it was no use. 

Adrien nodded happily. "What's your name, miss?"

"Y-Y/N..."

"Okay. So, Y/N, where do you wanna run in the relay?" He asked you as he placed something inside his locker. "I have to know where to place you." 

You just stared at his doings, not getting a single thing he's saying. 

He saw your blank face and began to laugh sheepishly, his hand combing through his hair. "I'm sorry I don't make any sense." You just smiled a little at him. "So-" A stick slipped from his fingers. The stick fell to the ground and made a clank noise. 

You only realized that this stick was a metal baton. 

Metal. 

You're doomed. 

"Let's go to the field, shall we?"

////

Kim readied his position; he was kneeling on one knee and hands were forward. He was holding the baton in his right hand. 

"You ready, Kim?" Adrien called to him. The brown-haired guy called back to him. He then turned to you. "Ready?" You nodded. "Alix, are you ready?" She nodded as well.

Everything seemed to go into places so Adrien reached for his whistle hanging around his neck. He blew on the whistle, signalling 'go'.

Kim started to run like the wind. You watched him going from point A to you. You wearily glanced at your device at its number 84, 85, 84, 85, 84