10. criminal

(criminal-britney spears.)

Entering the club, Soojin had her arm around my waist as the valet took the keys to her car. We entered the club the exclusive way. It was elegant, but still sensual and loud. People in designer clothing, grinding up against each other. It smelled like money near the bar. I waved to my friends, but Soojin grabbed my hand and led me to a parlor by the bar. The man who was in the doorway earlier was there with some other men. He stood as soon as Soojin entered the room and licked his lips looking at me.

Soojin glared and then he diverted his attention to her. "So, Soojin. My proposal still stands  as it did this morning."

"What's in it for me?"

"Your safety from him when he gets out...." he said. He plays with the rings on his hands. "I know some investors would happily oblige to help us out since you won't. I'll talk to him, let you keep your little assets and businesses...maybe even have him sign away some rights to let you tend to his whole enterprise...since you know he can't stop killing people."

Soojin pinched the bridge of her nose. She looked frustrated. I never seen her with such negative emotion before. She grabbed her purse. "Hui was never a good man. What makes you think that he would ever negotiate with you, let alone me?"

"Who's this?" Change of subject. "Who is this little girl you brought up in here? To our meeting?"

"This wasn't a meeting, in the first place. This...this was something you thought you could have in my parlor that I believe your money was never accepted in. Hui will stay put where he is." She balled up her fists. I stood there, my feet planted in fear.

Soojin stands closer to me and in the most calmest voice possible, she softly orders me: "please go to the bar with your friends." She pats my shoulder. I speed walk out the parlor. I wanted to stay and watch what was happening, but a woman pushes me away. I furrow my brow in confusion and go to the bar to see Yuqi and Soyeon there.

"Hey," Yuqi grins sweetly. She was already two drinks in, cheeks red as a cherub. Soyeon was busy ordering shots for the people chatting wildly beside her. "I thought you weren't feeling well. That was what boss said."

"Well....I had cramps, but I was coaxed to come out tonight," I lied. "You know..."

Yuqi plants a wet kiss on my forehead. "You look pretty tonight."

"Aye," Soyeon snaps and then notices that it is me. "Oh...lookie here. It's Shuhua. The one who seduced Soojin with her innocent charms."

"Shuhua isn't seducing anyone," Yuqi drunkingly slurred as she drank more. "You better not had done anything with that fox!"

I blush as I took a seat, ordering a glass of water because I didn't really feel like drinking tonight. I wanted Soojin to explain what happened. My mind swam with what could have occurred. Those guys looked like she had no choice in giving up the money or not. Also, who the hell was this Hui guy? Soojin looked tense every time his name was mentioned.

I sipped my water and crossed my legs. A person walks up to me and I swivel on the bar stool. He was tall and his hair was dyed silver. "Hi. You're the most beautiful girl I ever seen. My name is Hongjoong." He extends his hand.

I look at it and wanted to laugh. That was the most innocent way anyone has ever tried to approach me. I grin and extend my hand. "My name is Shu-"

All I saw was his eyes lose the curiosity in them and fear struck them and he coughed. Soojin had socked him right in the stomach and she grabbed me and we began walking somewhere. "Don't you ever humiliate me like that again."

"What do you mean?"

Soojin grunted and didn't respond. We just kept walking. I looked back and all I saw was the guy called Hongjoong on the floor still, grabbing his stomach. I jerked my hand away from Soojin. She cocked her eyebrow and she reached for it, but I put both my hands behind my back. She sighed heavily. "Look, we need to get out of here. Don't make me carry you."

"What the hell is going on?"

Soojin huffed. "When we get to your place, I promise I'll tell you. Baby...."

"You better."

When we got in the car, Soojin was quiet for most of the ride, her hands were on the steering wheel. She wasn't even smoking a cigarette. There was some tension in between her eyebrows. I wanted to know what was bothering her, but still couldn't believe how heartless she was to that guy. I mean, she did say that if anyone looked at me in that dress, she would kill them, however, I didn't think that she would actually mean it. Plus, I wanted to know how I humiliated her.

The silent ride felt like it was going on forever, but I knew that if I talked, her mood could probably worsen. As we pulled up to my apartment, she took the key out of the ignition and opened the door. I watched her angrily walk to open mine and I led her upstairs to my place. I just thought, this was the first time she was here.

I hoped she liked looking at drama posters and unopened packages of ramen. I slid off the heels on my feet and instantly felt warmly greeted by the rug my mom gave me. I made a mental note to call her sometime this week.

"Sit anywhere you'd like," I gestured to the sofa.

She looked at it and then sat. "Sorry I snapped at you like that..." she rolled her shoulders back. "I lost my head and I was frustrated. They have just been asking too much of me. I am not made out of money nor am I just given it. I work hard for my shit." She took out a cigarette. "Can I smoke in here?"

"They usually advise us not to, but I could open a window..."

"Nevermind," Soojin quickly put it away. I didn't think she had a little sense of morality in her. She closed the cigarette box. "I can't free Hui. Hui would destroy the foundation that I had to make since he was incompetent. He's done so many things to so many people. So have I. But, I paid my debts. You can't just kill people to eliminate the amount you have to pay to people. That adds to interest to their connections." She was very animated, yet passionate in this explanation. "I saved his ass by turning him in. I paid back every ounce of what he owed. If he were to be freed, he would die. And so would I."

"Is Hui...your ex husband?"

"Lawfully." She tightened her jaw. "I saved his ass so many times."

I sat beside Soojin. I took her hand. And to think that she was a criminal...she wasn't. She was helping everyone but herself. And when she was trying to help them, all they did was turn on her, and ask for more.

"I was poor like so many people once. But, there are ways to play the game safely. Life. Money. Loan sharks. Bosses." She looked at me. "Are you sure you want to read a chapter from my book?"

"I want to know every last page of you, regardless, Soojin." I kissed her lips. I wanted to understand what was so mysterious about her. Maybe her world was pretty dark, but I wanted to be her light. Her rock. "I'll accept you."

"Accepting me means accepting my bullshit too," she said. "I'm a little scared that I'm too heavy for you."

"I can take on weight very well if you teach me how to hold it."

"You always got something to counter me," Soojin bit her lip, grinning. "I think I need that in a woman. Nobody's got balls to actually do that to me." There goes that smile that I missed. She flips her hair back and holds me close. I never really thought I would see Soojin in a vulnerable light. I'm happy that she could feel this way with me. "Also, you didn't humiliate me. I'm just the jealous type."

"Then what do you want me to do when people approach me? I never had anyone do that a lot back home."

"Tell them you're my girl. They'll really back off." She raised her eyebrows and snickered.

"Wait...what happened with those guys in the parlor?"

"If I tell you, I'd have to kill you like I did them." Her smile got wider.