2.mommae

(mommae-jay park)

The club boomed with music and lights that were blinding (I'm surprised we didn't get a seizure when we walked in). Bodies were closely dancing together and people were dressed in the most expensive of clothes. I felt like the outfits put ours to shame, but I'm glad we settled with what we had. 

Miyeon led us through the crowd, hi-fiving people that she knew. Her confidence was something to be admired, but I couldn't even fathom how she knew these people. They seemed to come from high places. They were draped in Western name-brands and sipped alcohol in small drops. Pristine party-goers existed. But, the guys were very hardcore and loud here. Minnie stood close to me. "I heard Korea's nightlife was very colorful. I didn't expect it to be like this." I agreed with her as I linked my arm with hers. 

I wondered where Miyeon was leading us to as she took us to a secluded part of the club. It was a VIP section. There were 2 bouncers who were muscular as hell. They gave Miyeon a stern look as she pulled a slip from her bra and waved it in her hand. "I'm Cho Miyeon, a friend of Miss Jeon. These are my plus ones." She gave the bouncer the slip of paper. He read it and then unlocked the door with a slight attitude. When we walked into this part, the lights were a diluted hue of violet. The music was popular. The air smelled like lust and excitement. 

As I took in my surroundings, I felt very nervous. The air was balmy in here and people were dancing on each other. I never saw so many displays of sexual tension up close before. It was a whole new world. Minnie widened her eyes. Yuqi was very astonished by everything as well. "I never saw a party like this before." 

"We're in one of the most private clubs in Korea," Miyeon informed us as she got us all drinks from the host. I tried to refuse as I was under age, but I saw Yuqi took a shot. So I did too, because why not? We're at a party in a different country. "The IDLE club. Owned by Jeon Soyeon. I'm trying to find her so I can introduce you all. Her business partner doesn't like new guests." 

"Why not? Isn't it a club?" Yuqi asked. 

"Yes. But only the rich and famous can come here," Miyeon said. "I got lucky with a pass. It would have costed me a lot of won if I did. It's a specific list. This area is the most private of all, and I got extremely lucky." She looked around. "I heard lots of things about Soyeon's right hand man." 

Yuqi nudged me. "So how do you like parties so far?" Her cheeks were already flushed and she only had one drink. 

I shrug. "It's something." I bob my head to the music and take another sip of my drink which burned my chest a little. I winced and I suddenly got lost in the music. Me, Yuqi, and Minnie were in the center of the dance floor. We were gaining a lot of attention until there was an opening in the crowd. There was a beautiful figure that was illuminating in the dark room. She was strutting into the area as if she owned it. We stood back. She looked gorgeous. Her eyes had the most seductive gaze upon me, her lips were devil red. She oozed so much confidence it could overflow. Behind her, was a shorter woman with a blonde bob who matched the confidence even at her stature. 

"Something tells me that that's the famous Soyeon and business partner," Yuqi whispers in my ear.

The music stops and the shorter woman comes up to us. "Who are you? We have never seen you around this part of Seoul..." her words stung like sharp knives. "How did you get into our club?" 

I look around for Miyeon but she's nowhere in sight. Minnie and Yuqi were at a loss for words as well. I decided to speak up for us. "Our friend Mi-Miyeon invited us here." The taller woman who had a mole under her eye glossed me over with a threatening gaze. I shuddered as she whispered to Soyeon who nodded. 

"I know of Miyeon..." Soyeon says. "I never gave her permission to bring in 3 plus ones." 

I bowed. "I'm sorry...Miyeon just invited us here because we're new to the country and don't know anyone well-" 

Soyeon held up a hand to stop me from talking. She grinned at me and I was instantly afraid. Minnie and Yuqi stood close to me. I could feel them exchanging words of fear on what could happen. But, honestly...what could they even do? Read us to filth? Verbally degrade us? We're not in high school. This is a pure adult situation. "Inviting someone to the IDLE club during their first time in Korea..." Soyeon chuckled. "Now that's a fancy ass welcome, right Soojin?" 

Soojin kept her eyes locked on me. She shrugged. "DJ, turn the music back on!" She hollered. I felt like she was the only woman in the room. My attention snapped onto her so quick. The DJ began to play another enticing beat as Soojin came up to me. She looked down on me in her stilettos (were those red-bottoms?). I tried to keep my gaze on her eyes, but my own kept looking at her black bodice beneath her white blazer. Could I be less gay? She must have noticed I was checking her out because she lifted my chin with her finger. "Where are you from?" 

I turned to see Yuqi and Minnie receiving complimentary shots from the hostess and talking with Soyeon. Soojin gripped my chin so I could focus on her. I blushed. "I-I-I'm from Taiwan." She smirked at me. "My name is Shuhua-" 

"I'm Soojin," she said, her lips turning into a full smile. "They call me the Queen of this city." 

"Why is that?" I ask. My heart was pounding in my ears.

"Wouldn't you like to find out?" she laughed darkly. She releases me from her touch and I felt a little sense of longing. She seemed like a devil. Alluring. Her eyes were attractive. The way she carried herself? She seemed magnetic. "Would you like to dance?" 

"I don't dance well-" She pulls me close to her and starts rolling her body. I could smell her perfume. It was sweet but mature. She held me close to her as she kept driving me crazy with the way she was moving. My innocent thoughts were soon polluted with ones I never experienced before. Why was my heart feeling warm like this? She was a seductress. Obviously. She was an Aphrodite-like character. My hands were on her waist. Not sweaty or anything, shockingly. Under these colorful lights and all the people in here, she was the one who stood out the most. 

As she looked down on me as if I were one of her subjects, Soojin kissed me in the middle of the dance floor. My first kiss was not like this. It tasted like alcohol and excitement. She began nipping my bottom lip before entering her tongue. Who was this woman? I just met this stranger and we were already kissing. "We're going to be good friends, Shuhua." She winks. She walks off into the sea of people. I stood there, frozen. The music kept bumping in my ears. 

I wanted more of the stranger who deemed herself "queen of the city". 

I was shaken by Minnie and I snapped my head towards her. "Oh hey." 

"There you are!". She sounded a little sluggish. "I didn't expect you to be out here. Did our baby spread her wings tonight?" 

I chuckle nervously. "I guess you could say that." 

"You look a little pale," Minnie says, putting her hands on my shoulders. "Are you okay?" 

"Yeah," I say. I tuck a piece of hair behind my ear. "I'm more than okay actually. Where are you guys?" 

"Soyeon introduced us to some more friends...oh my god....we're wasted...but I think you didn't have enough to drink so let's go." 

Minnie pulled me off the dance floor into one of the seat booths where Soyeon, Yuqi, and a really tall man was. There were bottles both empty and full there. I took a shot. A surge of confidence flew right through me. "To Korea!"

Everyone drunkingly raised their shot glasses. "To Korea!"