8.wolf

(wolf-hyuna)

17 missed calls. 30 text messages. 12 voice mails.

These were the things that Song Yuqi have sent to me this morning. As I turned my phone on (which was dead. Soojin had given me a charger) I had to slide up to which Yuqi was already about to call me. "Hey! Where are you?" she sounded super concerned and worried. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, noticing that Soojin in a camisole was asleep next to me. "I told you an important visitor is coming."

"Sorry....I uh...overslept."

"I'm at work already because professor Lee wanted us here early."  She huffed very loudly in annoyance. "Were you out with Soojin?"

"Uh...." I noticed Soojin stirring in her sleep, her arms holding my waist.

"Don't lose sight of your damn job over a goddamn person. Now, if you're in jeopardy of losing your internship, I bet your bottom dollar that they'll kick your ass out faster than you can start a whole orchard." She hung up.

I bit my lip, heart pounding in my ear. The thought of losing my internship swooned in my head. Over just one day. How could I have been so stupid and caught up? I got up from the bed and finger-combed my hair. A figure stood in the doorway with her hands folded against her chest. She leaned in. "Need a toothbrush?" I blush as I heard Soojin's morning voice for the first time. It was groggy but light at the same time. She grinned and reached over me in the cabinet. She retrieved a white box and gave it to me. "This is officially yours." Kissing my cheek, she unveiled her robe and stepped in the shower. I tried to avoid staring at her but it was so hard. Through the fog-covered shower pane, I saw her naked body. My eyes couldn't get off of her until I noticed she was staring. She drew a heart with the fog and kissed it.

My throat went dry.

I ran to the bedroom and slipped my shoes on. I checked my bag to make sure I had a bus pass, but unluckily, I didn't have one of course. I sighed heavily as I stomped back to the bathroom. "Soojin! Can you give me a ride to my internship?"

"Did you think you could go anywhere without me?" Soojin chuckled. "Hold on."

I hold my cheeks as I sat on the bed and began scrolling through my phone. Yuqi had sent me another text message that I didn't bother to read. I began to text Minnie that I was going to be late because I'm waiting on Soojin to which she replied with the curious eyed emoji.

Soojin walked out in a towel, frantically holding an outfit in her fists. "You start the car, I'll be down in five minutes." She throws me the keys like a professional baseball player. I catch shockingly and then began bolting for the car. Lord, I stan a woman who understands my struggle.

I put the key in the ignition and turn on the radio. It was playing a pop song by Hyuna. I hummed along as I waited. I noticed that I was now almost 45 minutes late. Is there even a point in me going? I'd be embarrassing myself in front of these important visitors if I went to the lab today. The professor would shoot me a dirty look. The visitors would scrutinize me. I felt my anxiety piling up. Soojin got in the car and looked at me. "Alright, the lab's address is still the same?"

I nod. "But, like...I'm super late and I think I'd be putting myself on the spot if I show up in front of these important folks that are coming."

Soojin pursed her lips. "So...do you want to go or not? If not, I can just make you breakfast and we can spend the day in until I have work."

I played with my thumbs, debating my options. If I don't go in today, I'd get bullshit from the bosses either way. Yuqi will probably be all antsy and try to parent me like my friends at home. I came to Korea to set a new life for myself, though. I wanted something different. I knew that I came here for this prestigious internship, but here I was...not giving a damn halfway. I'm sure I can miss one little day. There were plenty more important days I could catch up on.  Calling in sick is always an option. I tilt my head. "I guess I'll just stay with you then."