《 Alternate Ending 》

TEN YEARS LATER

"ARE WE DONE YET?" Harper whined for the umpteenth time, looking up at me with her brown eyes and a frown on her freckled face. The four year old dragged her feet as I pulled her along.

"Almost, just be patient, okay?" I responded as Holden set the shopping basket down, scanning the shelf for Cheerios.

He reached above and grabbed the yellow box, gently placing it into the basket. "Got the last one," he smiled.

"The last one?" I questioned hesitantly. "Are there any more boxes in the back?" I tippy-toed and raised my chin, looking for another box that was potentially hiding behind another cereal box on the shelf.

"No, I checked already. This was the last box, Hads," he insisted. He picked it up and inspected the box for any tears or dents. "The box looks fine and it's all sealed up. Plus, if we don't buy cereal today, Harper won't have anything to eat in the morning."

"I guess so," I complied, knowing how picky Harper was.

Harper tugged on my hand, "Mommy, I need to go to the bathroom."

"I'll take her," said Holden. She giggled as he swiftly scooped up her tiny frame in his arms and kissed her head. He smiled and tickled her tummy, making Harper giggle louder. A smile spread across my face as I watched the small interaction, a warm, fuzzy feeling spreading throughout my body.

"Can you get the apple juice and meet me at the front?" He asked, balancing Harper on one arm as he pointed behind us.

I nodded and picked up the basket. Holden gave me a quick kiss and I turned to Harper, kissing her nose, "I love you."

"Love you too," she smiled. We parted in opposite directions.

"Hadley?"

I turned around, a small smile still lingering on my face from a few moments ago. My mind went blank. The smile on my face morphed into confusion as my mouth parted slightly in shock, eyebrows raised.

"Hey...Milo." I offered him a small, friendly smile. "What are you doing here in LA?"

A warm feeling spread throughout my chest. I couldn't exactly explain what I was feeling, but it was a mix of satisfaction and nostalgia. Seeing Milo brought back a wave of emotions, but those feelings fleeted and I felt at peace standing across from my first love.

"I'm actually moving here from New York for work. I was offered a writer's position for an upcoming ABC show after What Lies Beneath the Surface ended." He placed his shopping basket onto the ground and put his hands into his pockets.

"Oh, that's right! You helped create the show, right?" I asked with excitement and awe.

"Mhm." He nodded his head.

"Wow, that's so cool!" A wide grin spread across my face. I added on, "The show was really good by the way."

"Thanks," Milo humbly replied. He rubbed the back of his neck as he spoke, "I didn't expect the crime show to run for six years, but I'm glad many people enjoyed the show."

Not wanting the conversation to end, Milo commented, "I heard you were cast in a Broadway show after graduating."

"Yeah, Stacey helped me land a role as a main dancer in Anastasia, which I'm really thankful for." I smiled softly as more nostalgia hit. "Even though it's been about a year and a half already since I left, I still kind of miss the adrenaline rush from performing in front of a live audience every night."