10 | From Anonymous

"HADLEY, WAIT!" I spun around and saw James jogging towards me with a smile on his face, books in hand. With every grueling moment, my heart raced and I wished that I just kept on walking.

"James, hey."

After a few seconds, we both sprouted simultaneously, "I need to tell you something."

We both laughed it off and once again simultaneously spoke again, "You go first."

"Um, I'll go first," I said gently. He waited for me to continue as I drew in a deep breath, "Look, James. I know that you don't have a roommate."

"How did you find out?" He smiled sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck as a flush of pink poured onto his cheeks.

"Ava."

"I'm sorry for lying, Hads. I didn't know if you were going to say yes, and I didn't want things to get awkward if you said no." He stuck his hand in his pocket, looking down at the ground as he lazily kicked a tiny rock to the side.

"It's fine, James." I added, "I had a lot of fun last night."

His head perked up, a smile curling up his lips. "Really?"

I nodded, a soft smile also playing at my lips.

"Well, Hadley, would you like to hang out again and see a movie with me tonight?"

"I'd like that."

"Great. It's a date."

"TODAY, WE'RE OFFICIALLY starting our symbolism project," Professor Hyatt announced as people poured into class.

Giant easels, each accompanied by an art palette and blank canvas, sat in place of where our desks were. I took my usual spot near the window, leaving the easel to my left untouched. I watched as the rest of the students walked in, but no sign of Milo.

Professor Hyatt closed the door and began giving instructions on what to do while I took out my supplies. After I began lightly copying my image onto the blank canvas using a pencil, the door swung open, surprising everyone who had been working quietly.

"Sorry I'm late. I had to help someone get to class," Milo apologized, slightly out of breath. A pressure formed in my chest hearing those words, reminding me of my awful deed. His soft black hair was slightly disheveled and when he turned to look at the class, his eyes immediately landed on me and he sent me a soft smile, causing my heart to palpitate. I looked away briskly as I felt heat creeping up my neck and onto my cheeks.

After being informed of what to do, Milo looked for an easel to sit at. There were a few spots open since some people didn't show up, and my pulse began to race as I hoped that he would pick the easel next to me.

The heavens above must've heard my prayer because Milo made his way to the empty seat next to me, getting a whiff of his lavender scent, sending my brain into a mini-frenzy.

"Hey," he whispered, a friendly smile in his face.

"Hi." I shot him a quick smile before turning back to my sketch.

A frown curled down on his lips, "Is everything okay?"

"Yup. Just peachy," I chirped a bit too enthusiastically, indicating how badly I was lying through my teeth. Milo gently tugged on my arm, forcing me to turn towards him. The contact made my heart jump out of my chest, and I had to steady my breathing as much as possible, which ended up making me take shallower breaths than normal.