02 | Old Friends

"HEY, JAMES. Long-time no see."

James was Milo's best friend. Just like Ava and I, they were close friends since birth. In fact, I don't think they even considered each other as friends. They considered each other as brothers.

They were always seen together, jostling each other around as they exchanged humorous banter. But oddly enough, James wasn't with Milo.

"Indeed, it has been, Hads," he agreed in his normal voice, his tone soft and smooth as he swept me off my feet, taking me by surprise.

James twirled around as he trapped me tightly against his chest, his arms wrapped around my waist.

I giggled in response and when James returned me back to my feet, through my peripheral vision, I caught Milo glaring in our direction, but mostly at James. Weird.

I'd never seen Milo like that towards James, even when they would occasionally get into arguments back home. The way his eyebrows were scrunched tightly together while his eyes took on a darker shade than normal hinted that Milo was upset at James for something else other than the fact that James had just spun me around moments ago.

There was something deeper going on between the two of them.

"So how's campus life been treating you so far?" James questioned, returning my gaze back to him.

"Good so far, I guess. I just got here about half an hour ago, so I haven't really done anything yet," I explained. James also let out an amused laugh and nodded.

Sensing that the conversation was coming to an end and an awkward silence would soon ensue, I asked, "Do you know where the Admissions Office is?"

"Yup," he responded. My lips pressed together as I gave him a weird look, wondering if he'll tell me how to get there.

"Did you want me to tell you how to get there?" He asked innocently.

"Yes, that would be nice," I wryly remarked and nodded slowly.

"Well, why didn't you just say so?" A playful smirk tugged on his lips.

"Uh, that's kind of why I asked you where the Admissions Office is," I said amusedly, rolling my eyes with a smile.

If someone didn't know James like I did, they'd think he was a rude and arrogant douche, but he's far from it. Most of the time, he's a sweet and charming guy upfront, even a bit flirty at times. But sometimes he's a bit sarcastic when he wants to be. That's just who he is.

"Come on, right this way." He steps to the side and drags his hand out in front of me. Suddenly, a pair of hands crashed down onto my shoulders from behind, making me gasp as I jumped out of my skin.

"Thanks for ditching me back there, Hads. This girl came up to me and shoved a paper in my face wanting me to join her sorority," Ava panted. Her gaze flickered up and in between breaths she said, "Hey, James...It's good to see you...Man...I need to start working out."

I chuckled at Ava as James greeted her with a hug. Taking a hold of her wrist, I said, "Come on, James is gonna show us where the office is."

James led the way as I dragged Ava along, who was slowly beginning to catch her breath again.

A few minutes later, we arrived at the Admissions office and met with the registrar. He gave us a folder with all of our information like our schedules, dorm room key, and a map of the campus.

Thankfully, the orientation for new freshmen like us wasn't until tomorrow, so Ava and I had the entire day to explore the campus and surrounding shops.