13 | A Day Without You

WORDS COULDN'T DESCRIBE this feeling. As we stood in the middle of the airport, I was overcome by many mixed emotions: fear, euphoria, and many more.

"Have fun!" Ava sighed with a grin, releasing me from her firm hold. She didn't let go however as her hands still held a firm grip on my arms. "I wish I could go with you to New York, but I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through you. Oh, and don't forget to call or text me every night while you're there, I want to hear about all of it!

"I'll try to," I chuckled. I picked up my duffel from the floor and slung the long strap over my shoulder.

Then, a woman over the intercom announced, "Flight 320 will begin boarding in five minutes."

"Well, I'll see you when you get back," stated Ava.

We said one last goodbye before I made my way to Gate 32-B where Flight 320 would be boarding. After passing through TSA, I spotted Milo waving me over near the crowded gate along with the others.

"Hey, you made it just in time," he said, ticket in hand. The doors to the plane opened and many passengers lined up in front of the gate. After many boarded the plane, it was finally our time to board.

As I stood in line, looking above for the twenty-first row, Milo tapped my shoulder from behind. "What's your seat number?"

I looked down at my ticket, "21F. What about you?"

"20G," he said with a small frown. "I was hoping that we could've sat next to each other."

A moment later, I reached the twenty-first row and found my seat, which was in the aisle way and diagonal to Milo's seat.

"That's okay. I can still reach and kick the back of your seat," I winked as I slid my duffel under the seat in front. Milo didn't respond but simply chuckled. His faded blue short-sleeved shirt snuggly hugged his arms as he slid his carry-on duffel into the overhead compartment, showing off his toned arms. I turned to the side and looked out the window, unable to see anything as it was pitch black outside.

A few minutes later, a girl I recognized from English took the seat beside me, displaying a friendly smile. I tucked my earbuds in and hit play on my phone, the sound of Billie Eilish's song "when the party's over" pouring through the small speakers and blessing my ears.

The subtle bass in the background of the song masked the low rumble of the plane, and it was only when the plane started moving was when I realized our long flight was about to begin.

Out of the corner of my eye, I just so happen to spot Milo turning around and looked my way, sporting a faint smile. He continued to stare without saying a word, which made me squirm a bit as I felt something rumble in my stomach. So I mouthed, "What?" with a soft smile.

"Nothing," he mouthed back, shaking his head before turning back around. I shook my head at myself as I aimlessly swiped back and forth between the different pages of my phone, filled to the brim with apps.

With no success in finding something to do, I plugged in my phone to charge and scrolled through the various complimentary movies on the small screen in front of me. After settling for a classic, Mary Poppins, I exhaled deeply, sinking further into my seat as I felt my eyes slowly grow heavy.

"HADLEY, HADLEY. Wake up," I heard a deep voice say as they gently shook my shoulder. My eyes slowly fluttered open, the bright light from outside blinding me for a split second. With a slight groan, I straightened up, feeling small aches over my body from the uncomfortable position I slept in the compact seat.