How the Other Half Lives

~Barne~

Barne's head ached as he awoke inside a human bed twice the size of the one he had slept in previously. The bedding was scratchy and warm. He ran his hand over his head and felt a tender lump where he had been struck.

"Sorry for the intrusion," a female voice said.

Barne sat up, noticing that he had been washed and dressed in the human's customary garb.

"I'm...not in prison," he reluctantly said.

The well-groomed human woman brought over a tole filled with cheese and meats. Barne knew that such foods were forbidden among his people, but he was no longer among them, was he?

Barne dove in with both hands, rapidly shoveling the food inside his starved mouth. He jostled the tray, causing some scraps to spill out on the floor.

The woman placed the tray next to his legs and reached for the wasted pieces. "That's okay..." she started to say.

Barne snatched them out of her hand, scarfing them down before she was fully standing up again.

It had been a long time since he had remembered eating food. In truth, it was far longer than he had imagined.

The smell was intoxicating, the taste—sensational. Never had he experienced such flavors and textures! Everything was prepared to excite the palate, not for sustenance.

The woman hurried out of the room while Barne was licking the flavors off his fingertips.

When she returned, she held another platter, twice the size of the previous one.

He polished off this second course more slowly this time, savoring every bite. His stomach gave up before his taste buds did. Still, he forced himself to finish off the delightful treats.

"Shall I get another?"

"No, I don't think I could control myself if you did."

The woman left him with an endearing smile, taking both trays with her.

"Madam," Neff said, crossing her on his way into the chamber.

Barne couldn't hide his satisfied smile even if he had wanted to; and he did want to.

"Are you okay?" Neff asked with open arms.

Barne nodded, unsure if he should be answering.

"How is your head?"

Barne winced upon feeling the spot again, as if he was commanded to do so.