1 - His Father's Eyes

Start from the beginning

"Remember, you're always welcome to stay at ours," Hermione said, hugging me to her. "Our home is your home too, remember?"

I was thinking more along the lines of getting laid but smiled politely all the same.

"I love you guys," I murmured quietly as Ron came and joined us, wrapping the both of us in his long lanky arms.

"I'm quite fond of you guys too," Ron declared, "now come on, let me treat you all to a slice of chocolate cake. That'll cheer us up."

"I'd love to Ron, but I've got to get back to the office," I huffed. "I've already missed so much time by coming here."

"Please!" Ron barked, "I'm sure they can cope a day without you there. I know I'm not going to hurry back."

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that Ronald Weasley," I muttered, throwing him an incredulous look. Did he forget that I was his fucking boss?! "Besides, I've a shit load of paperwork that won't do itself-"

"WHAT HAVE I TOLD YOU BEFORE ABOUT YOUR LANGUAGE, HENRIETTA POTTER?!"

Hermione's eyes were bulging furiously at me, her hands now on her hips. I looked down guiltily at Hugo. Oops.

"Sorry, I'm trying to keep it in check. It just slips out sometimes," I explained, giving an unapologetic shrug.

After we said our farewells, I Apparated to the Ministry, already feeling weary at the workload ahead of me.

Nodding my greetings to my colleagues, I strode through the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, not stopping until I came to my chaotic, yet cosy office.

Fuck, I really needed to get an assistant, I thought as I eyed my messy desk, paperwork piled high, falling onto the floor.

I sat down, getting stuck in as my thoughts turned to Albus and I wondered how he was finding the journey, wherever he and Rose were making any new friends.

My eyes drifted to the photo on my desk. It was a photo taken over the summer in Ron and Hermione's back garden. It had been a lovely summers afternoon and Ron had eagerly got his camera out, taking pictures of the kids before we lost them to Hogwarts. In this particular photo, Albus had thrown his arm around my shoulder, laughing happily into the camera. With our smiling faces side by side, you could see the similarities between us. He had my hair, my nose, my smile.

He had had a happy childhood, despite it just being the two of us. He never seemed to mind, asking only once about his father. I simply told him that there was no father, that it had always just been him and me. He seemed happy enough with that explanation. For now.

And then my thoughts turned to the encounter on the platform. To Draco. I tried not to allow myself to think about him too much. It still hurt like hell. But seeing him, touching him... it brought everything flooding back. All those feelings that refused to go away and die.

But he had his own family. His beautiful wife, who would not hurt a fly. His son, who looked astonishingly like himself at that age. It had floored me.

I glanced back to the moving photo of Albus's smiling face. He did not look much like his father. Only the eyes. He had inherited his eyes.

A sudden commotion made me jerk my head up at the closed door. I could hear Carol, the main receptionist, shouting at someone.

"YOU CAN'T JUST COME STORMING IN HERE!"

But whoever she was addressing would not listen, it seemed.

"YOU HAVEN'T GOT AN APPOINT-"

I jumped up as my door flew open. There stood the imposing suited figure of Draco Malfoy, a familiar scowl set upon his pale pointed face.

"I'm so sorry Miss Potter," Carol breathlessly wheezed behind him, jumping up slightly to see over Draco's shoulder. "He just barged in demanding to see you. I'll call security."

"There's no need, Carol," I said at once, dismissing her. "It's okay, he can come in."

"Oh," she looked nonplussed, blinking up at Draco. "Well - if you're sure..."

I nodded and she scurried away.

My eyes met Draco's who was still stood in the doorway, his face still set in an angry scowl.

"Tell me, Potter," he growled. "Is he mine? Is Albus my son?"

***