Chapter XVIII

Steven and (Y/n) sat in silence on top of the injector. The (F/c) gem sat on Steven's lap, her arms wrapped around his neck with her face buried in his shoulder. Steven had his arms wrapped around her as well, only he had wrapped them around her lower back instead.

They just sat in silence, holding eachother close.

And that was when a sniffle was heard.

"It's funny, isn't it?" (Y/n) asked, tears falling from her face silently.

Steven only tightened his hold on her and rested his chin on the top of her head.

"You found me, entertained me. . . took care of Spinel and Lunar. . ." (Y/n) sniffled and leaned away from Steven's shoulder before placing her forehead against his own, allowing him to see her crying face. "You actually. . . liked me. . ." She smiled sadly and closed her eyes as Steven used his thumb to wipe her tears away.

(Y/n) then placed her hands over her mouth to muffle a sob. "What was I thinking?" She whispered as Steven frowned and cupped her face.

(Y/n) shook her head, making Steven take his hand away from her cheek. She then let out a cry and snuggled her face into his chest. "Why did I want to hurt you so bad?" She asked, her voice shaky as she trembled in Steven's arms.

"I'm supposed to be your friend. . ." (Y/n) muttered; once again wrapping her arms around Steven.

"I just wanna be your friend. . ." She said, her voice cracking and lowering at the word 'friend'.

Steven frowned and took (Y/n)'s hands in his, intertwining their fingers together. "(Y/n). . ." He began as the gem sniffled, unaware that the gem-hybrid was leaning his face into hers since her eyes were closed. "There's something that I need to tell you—"

CRACK!

(Y/n) gasped and looked down, as did Steven. Large cracks were beginning to take form on the injectors top, and the giant machine began to shake, indicating one thing:

It was going to explode.

His eyes going wide at the realization, Steven suddenly stood up and picked (Y/n) up bridal style, earning a surprised gasp from the gem.

"Hang on!" He yelled as he ran towards the edge of the injector, which was starting to shake more rapidly until—

BOOM!

(Y/n) cried out and instinctively wrapped her arms around Steven's neck as she shut her eyes tightly and hid her face in his chest. Steven cried out as well, but didn't look as scared as he summoned a bubble to protect the two.

"Whew. . ." Steven breathed out as smoke and dust began to surround his bubble while he levitated towards the Earth's floor slowly.

"That was close. . ." He muttered before letting out a yawn.

"We're. . . okay. . .?" Came (Y/n)'s shaky voice as Steven looked down to look at her.

God. She looked terrified.

Steven smiled softly at (Y/n) and nodded, pulling her close when he noticed how badly her body was trembling. "Yeah, we're okay." He reassured her, placing yet another gentle kiss on her head.

(Y/n) took a shaky breath and nodded, resting the side of her head against Steven's shoulder blade as she gave him a small smile.

"Thanks. . ." She muttered, yawning.

Steven blinked at that. Did. . . Did he hear that right? Had you just yawned? But. . . gems don't get tired. Sure, Amethyst does, but that's because she chooses to. (Y/n), however. . .