Chapter 63: Sakura

En başından başla

With swift hands, he lightly tugged the zipper downwards until it stopped at my lower back. The temperature of the room on my exposed skin caused me to shiver involuntarily. 

"If I didn't know any better I'd say this was a distraction tactic."

My face burned as I whipped around towards him, holding the dress to my front. I groaned at the quick movement while acknowledging the amusement playing on his features. 

"Careful, my temper just might win out over the hangover." I mumbled half heartedly.

"Doesn't sound likely." Kakashi responded cheekily.

A few seconds passed where we were silent, not sure how to really proceed. There were still many unspoken words left hanging in the air. Slowly, my hungover brain figured out the next course of action.

"Give me a minute. I need to feel human again." I sighed, standing up and walking towards my bedroom. 

I quickly shut the door and grabbed a tank top and pair of black workout leggings to slip into, not seeing a reason to get dressed up. If this were to go anything like I thought it would, it'd be best to be in clothes that were comfortable. I exited my room swiftly and without looking in Kakashi's direction, made my way to the restroom to finish the rest of my morning routine.

Once teeth were brushed and my face was washed, I felt the overall grossness of the hangover start to dissipate, leaving only a headache in its stead. 

"Did you want breakfast or something to drink?" I called out, taking one last look in the mirror before going back to the living room. Even though things were weird between us, I couldn't ignore my instincts as a polite hostess.

"No, but you should." He murmured, his gaze trying to convey something unspoken again.

"I can wait." I waved him off, wanting to rip the bandaid off of this situation. 

"Rookie. Everyone knows you need food in your system if you're gonna get rid of that headache." Kakashi rolled his eyes before maneuvering to my small kitchen. No matter how many times I witnessed it, I was always in awe of how he moved. Both on and off the battlefield, he had a silent grace to his steps, and confidence that matched it. 

I shook my head to clear my thoughts and realized too late that I hadn't fought him hard enough, hence the sizzle of oil in the pan starting. I sighed, idly noting that he seemed to already know where I kept most ingredients. Predictable yet again. Taking a seat at the counter, I frowned at this notion and the fact that there was still a lot to unpack between us. I was lucky that his back was turned to me. It gave me the space to express my feelings, even if it was just to myself. 

I tried not to dwell on anything other than the basics; I had a hangover, he was cooking to help me out. I really tried to ignore addressing complexities and ulterior motives until after I'd start eating. He cooked in silence and I waited in silence, not really feeling the need to fill the air with small talk. 

Soon enough, he sat a plate in front of me and waited for my thoughts on his handiwork. 

"How'd you come up with today's menu?" I asked lightly, taking a forkful in an attempt to break the tension. 

"It's my favorite 'morning after a late night' breakfast. Eggs and sausage in an attempt to give you some protein. I know you normally prefer something lighter but this'll be good for you." Kakashi explained, wincing as he realized he sounded much like how I accused him of being yesterday.

I smiled at that. Self awareness was definitely a start. I continued to eat quietly as Kakashi spoke again.

"So, we also need to confer for our mission reports." He took on a serious tone, and it wasn't because of the reports. He was probably thinking that I wanted to keep him at arm's length. I was well within my right to. But something in me knew that it wasn't what either of us needed, let alone wanted.