Chapter 55: Sakura

Side note from the author: you all make me happy~

And yes I changed the cover! Nothing but respect for my friend Imchigon who made the first one for me, I just thought I needed a fresh start :)

(I made like 15 different covers so the remaining ones will be the pics for the upcoming chaps, let me know your thoughts on them as they appear!)
__________________

A near silent squelch prompted me to jerk upwards, tearing me away from the only decent sleep I'd had in weeks.

Immediately on guard, I scanned the area. Kakashi, Shikamaru and Neji were speaking with unfamiliar ninja a good distance away. I assumed they were Rain ninja. Bleary eyed, I rubbed the traces of sleep from my mind and stood, ready to join them when I heard another sound. It was the swish of clothing moving quickly. My ears perked up, definite that I had not imagined it.

Now, going off on my own would definitely constitute as a "threat to her own general safety and wellbeing", so I waved over Shikamaru and he excused himself from the conversation before walking towards me in a leisurely manner.

"I have a feeling someone's nearby. I keep hearing noises, but I can't feel a chakra signature." I stated lowly, glancing around the clearing again. I didn't want to alert the unknown people nearby nor the Rain ninja and my squad. I eyed the restrained enemy ninja who was still knocked out. He wouldn't be going anywhere.

"Want to us to scout further soon?" He offered as I nodded in response. When shinobi instinct kicks in, it's best to listen to it.

Shikamaru casually walked back to the debriefing of the Rain ninja while I stayed behind, choosing to lean my back against a solid tree and shut my eyes, feigning tiredness. I needed to look like I wasn't onto whoever was nearby.

My eyelids had fluttered shut but my mind was working a thousand miles a minute as the soft rustling increased frequency. They were getting closer to the clearing. I struggled with keeping a relaxed composure as my frustration was slowly appearing. Why couldn't I sense their chakra signatures? My sensitivity and precision concerning chakra are my best attributes. Aside from advantages in battle, my own mastering of chakra control provides me with the ability to sense others' chakra efficiently.

I gritted my teeth behind my facade of normalcy. Had I really regressed that much? I was torn away from my thoughts as someone began to approach me. Their chakra signature was masked and disguised, yet I was able to tell that they were a female based on the sounds of their movement. It wasn't anyone from my team, as I knew their footsteps, chakra and movements completely.

A light footstep to my left prompted me to swing a chakra filled fist outwards without hesitation, making direct contact with flesh as the target attempted to bite back a pained yelp. I opened my eyes and glanced down at their crumpled figure, a sense of familiarity enveloping the situation.

A large explosion occurred at the other side of the clearing where the others were, prompting me to look away from the girl for a brief second. Out of the plumes of smoke arrived a boy around my age. His blank skin and brown eyes reflected a sense of nothingness. He was like an empty shell. Curiously, when the Rain ninja confronted him, Kakashi, Shikamaru, and Neji stayed behind and watched warily. My eyes narrowed at that, analyzing what was going on.

The girl next to me coughed, blood trickling onto the ground as she attempted to crawl away and recuperate. She brought her hands to her stomach, glowing green with familiar warmth.

"Oh no, you don't." I spoke calmly as I sent a chakra infused kick her way, stopping her actions as she stifled her voice.

My team was too far for me to continue waiting for them to come and restrain her, so I took matters into my own hands. I may have been demoted, but this was a simple task.