"Go away," I called.

"It's me," Demi said. Demi? What's she doing here? "I brought your dinner; Sienna told me you hadn't come out to eat."

"I wasn't hungry."

"Can I come in?"

I sighed. My stomach rumbled at me, yelling for food. I slid off the bed, unlocking the door to let Demi in. She had the puffiest fur coat on you'd think it was snowing outside. I closed the door behind her, locking it once again.

Demi sat on the bed, putting the covered plate of food on it. She patted a spot next to her. "What's wrong, dear?" she whimpered.

"What makes you think something's wrong?" I leaned against the locked door, arms across my chest.

"Sienna told me what happened between you and Bane earlier today." She rubbed her ear.

"You think I'm right, right?"

"Of course, Crystal."

"See? Bane doesn't get it!"

Demi sighed. "I'm afraid you don't get something either."

"What?"

"Please, sit."

I took a seat on the side of the bed, smoothing out the nightgown. Demi slightly turned to me.

"Honey, what you have to realize is that...how do I put this? Bane is...protective of you."

"I got that when he flipped out," I grumbled. "I mean, I know he's my district partner, and we're part of the Career pack, but it wasn't like the kid just sprinted across the room to beat me up or anything."

"Do you ever think that maybe Bane acts that way not because you're a pack mate, but something else to him?" Demi raised a neatly plucked eyebrow.

I got what she meant: she thought that Bane was in love with me. I didn't see it that way at all.

"No," I said immediately. "Nobody who gets picked for the Games falls in love. The last tributes to do that were Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, way before my time. There haven't been tributes that've done that since them. Besides, what's the point in falling in love in the arena anyway if only one comes out?"

"People find love in unexpected places." Demi shrugged.

"Yes, but how—more like why—would you find love while you're in a televised fight to the death? There's no point if you, him, or both of you will die in the end."

"Ouch, that's harsh."

"It's the truth, though," I retorted lightly. I let out a calm breath. "Thanks, by the way, for dinner."

"Anytime. I've got to look out for my girl, don't I?" She rubbed my arm.

"Do you have a room in here?"

"No, I've got my own back home. It's not far from here, so it's not a long journey."

Demi unlocked the door and shut it behind her. I lifted the lid off the plate. There was ham, mashed potatoes, beans, and a slab of chocolate pudding. It looked like Thanksgiving dinner. This was a normal meal compared to what the Capitol could give me. Not wanting to let it go to waste, I dug in, careful to not get food on my bed sheets.

Despite how much my stomach begged me to stop, I forced down the last bites of food. I didn't want to waste a single thing. Besides, I bet other tributes would lick their plates clean, especially those who were from poorer districts, like District 12.