complicated

eddie awoke in his cell, alone and in pain. it was cold on the hard cement floor as eddie shakily stood up.

his arm was dripping blood, they hadn't bothered to put a bandage on. the wound itself looked pretty gruesome. it was stitched up but blood still leaked out. eddie could even see something poking through his skin. he couldn't even guess what they've done to him.

"el?" he whispered, his voice breaking. she wasn't in her cell and she had been taken before him. what was taking her so long? what were they doing to her? eddies breath quickened as anxiety set in.

he was in this dark, cold room all alone. el was missing. there wasn't even any guards.

he was alone.

eddies throat closed up and he scrambled away from the door, pressing himself against the wall. he didn't want to be here. he was in pain. he was scared. he just wanted richie. why did his mother have to ruin everything? eddie just wanted to be happy.

the door opened and sonia walked in, sneering at the sight of eddie pressed against the wall.

"don't like being alone, huh?" she unlocked his cell, stepping closer to him.

eddie tried to speak but his air was cut off. oh shit, am i really having a fucking asthma attack in front of my mom? she's gonna think i'm so weak.

"while you were having your surgery," sons grabbed his injured arm harshly, forcing a muffled whimper of pain from eddie. "we noticed some unusual brain activity."
sonia took something out of her pocket.
an inhaler.

"so, we tapped in." she shoved the inhaler in her sons mouth, triggering it. "and we found out that a certain elliot was chatting with you."

eddies eyes widened. she knows.

sonia put the inhaler back. "did you really think that i wouldn't know the full effects of a former patients powers?" she glared at him in disgust. "i know about his little rescue plan, eddiebear. i know how your boyfriend, richie, is coming to save you. i know about the plan. i know everything." she tightened her grip on his arm.

eddie ripped his arm out, wincing at the pain it caused. "you can't stop them, bitch, they're going to rescue me," he looked her in the eyes, feeling confident. "and then i'm going to come back and destroy you."

sonia rolled her eyes and extracted a small remote from her purse, pressing a small red button. "this should shut you up."

eddies arm lit with pain. it felt as if sparks of fire were rushing through his veins. he screamed, clutching his arm with his hand and dropping to his knees.

sonia laughed at the sight of him and stepped out of the cell. "not so strong now, huh?"

richie packed his bag full of supplies. elliot has given them some guns, knives and bobby pins to get eddies cell door open. it hurt to think of eddie confined. he just wanted to get the small boy back. he felt something for him that he didn't understand. he told stan about it. he was just worried that it wasn't right. even if eddie liked him back, they could never be.

no one would accept them.

it would be too dangerous.

richie sighed. why couldn't the world be more understanding? why was it so wrong for two boys to like each other? it didn't make sense.

"richie?" a voice called from the other side of his door.

"come in bev." he responded, zipping up his bag.

the red head walked through the door, plopping down on the bed. "whatcha doing?"

"i'm packing."

bev grabbed a comic from the nightstand, flipping through the pages. "supermannn"

richie set the bag on the floor, sitting on the bed next to bev trying not to shake. he tried not to show everyone how much losing eddie affected him. he constantly would shake and he always had to be doing something or it would be noticeable. richie needed eddie and it surprised him just how much he did.

"rich?"

he blinked, trying to keep the tears at bay.
beverly sat up, setting the comic aside. "richie what's wrong?"

richie looked at his hands.

"is it eddie?"

he nodded, his vision blurry as tears filled his eyes.

beverly's arms wrapped around him, her hair brushing against his cheek. "hey, it's okay. well get him back. we have the element of surprise, remember? we'll rescue him."

richie took in a shaky breath. "h-he's being hurt. and-and i can't do anything about it. i can almost feel his pain. he's scared, bev. he's scared."

beverly pulled away, her expression softening. "he won't be scared or hurt for long. we're gonna get him back and he'll be safe with us."

richie nodded.

beverly pulled him in for another hug. "we'll get him back."

~in the other room~
"hey, elliot. do you need help with anything?" mike asked, awkwardly standing in the doorway.

elliot stopped writing, his hand hovering over the letter he was working on. "why can't you help the other people?"

mike fidgeted with his hands. "well, stanley and bill are flirting. beverly and richie are having a heart to heart conversation and ben is intensely reading this book about the lab."

elliot chuckled and waved mike in. "yeah sure, i haven't packed yet so maybe you can do that while i finish here."

mike hesitantly walked in the room, gathering the things placed on the bed and neatly putting them in the bag. "do you mind if i ask what you're doing?"

elliot hesitated, fiddling with his pen. "well, i'm actually writing a letter."

mike continued putting things in the bag. "oh."

"yeah, it's to julie." the other boy said, his voice shaking slightly.

mike glanced over at him, his face softening. "did you love her?"

elliot nodded, frantically wiping his eyes before any tears leaked out. he didn't want to appear weak in front of the handsome boy. "yeah. i don't know it was complicated. we never actually said those words to each other. she was my best friend. i loved her. but not in that way i don't think. i don't know why. maybe there's something wrong with me."

mike walked over to the boy, sitting next to him. "nothings wrong with you. sometimes we have people that we love as a friend and nothing more. it's okay if you didn't have feelings for her."

elliot nodded, his hands slightly shaking. "mike? can i ask you something?"

mike took the blond boys hand, steadying it and nodded.

elliot gazed at their interlocked hands. "do-do you think that liking boys is bad?"

mike smiled. "no, there's nothing wrong with that either. we just live in a society that's not accepting and most people are blinded by hate. they despise everything that is different."

elliot blinked, tears falling out of his long lashes. "thank you."

mike pulled him in for a hug, loving the smell of raspberries that seemed to surround him.

elliot softly pulled away, picking up the letter and handing it to mike shakily. "could-could you read it? and tell me if it's good? i want to read it to her but i don't know if i made any mistakes."

mike nodded and took the letter, careful not to crease it. "i'll make sure it's perfect."

elliot smiled sadly. "thank you, mike."