unguarded

Eddie sat at the lunch table with Richie on one side and Stan on the other. Beverly sat next to Ben, Bill, and Mike who was sick yesterday.

"Eddie, I thought you were new here" Ben said mildly confused.

Eddie shrugged and took a sip of the strawberry milk that he and Richie were sharing. "Guess I'm not."

Ben opened his mouth to say something but Beverly cut him off with a kiss on the cheek.
Richie smiled as he took a fry off her plate and swallowed it in one gulp.

"Guys, we should go to the quarry today." Stanley suggested, kicking Bill for staring at Beverly.

Everyone immediately said yes except for Ben. He blushed as he tried to make an excuse. "I'm just tired today and I have a lot of homework. I was planning on going to the library for a bit and-" Beverly cut him off. "It's okay, ben, next time okay?"

Ben only looked away, shame in his eyes. Beverly quickly got the message. "You know what guys, I just got my period, I can't swim. Might as well go to the library to distract myself after school. I'll just hang out with ben, catch you guys there next time."

The bell rang and Richie walked Eddie to his locker. "What was wrong with Ben today?" Richie asked, obviously oblivious.

Eddie leaned into Richie to whisper, "he was ashamed of his body, rich, he didn't want us to see it. We just have to wait until he's more comfortable around us is all."

Richie nodded understandably. He always knew ben was sensitive about that but he didn't think swimming would be a big deal. Ben should know that they'd never judge him. Maybe next time.

~at the quarry~
"Who's jumping in first?" Richie asked, staring at the deep drop. Mike shook his head, stepping back a bit.

Stanley and Bill both stepped back too.

"Fucking pussies!" Eddie grinned as he took a running leap off the edge and into the water.
Richie laughed in astonishment. He didn't think Eddie would come out of his shell this quick. When he first met Eddie, he had been so guarded yet so vulnerable. It was wonderful to see him thriving again.

Richie jumped next, doing a flip on the way down. "I win!" He yelled, splashing Eddie with water. "I showed you up, Eds!"

Eddie grinned as he splashed Richie back. "Do not call me that, Rich."

"Hey, lovebirds! I'm going next!" Stan shouted and jumped, yelling, "FUCK!!"

"S-stan wins!" Bill yelled from above.

Richie flipped him off and tried his best to wash the water off his glasses so he could see.
After Stanley jumped, Bill did a cannon ball and Mike did one too.

"I think I win." Richie said, eyeing Eddie as he blew bubbles with his nose. How is he this cute? Richie thought, fighting back the urge to wrap the small boy up in his arms.

"N-no, Stan d-d-definitely won." Bill said, holding Stan's hand underwater.

"Whatever guys, let's play truth or dare." Mike suggested, rolling his eyes as Richie splashed him.

"Okay, truth or dare mike?" Stanley asked.

"Dare."

"Good choice, I dare you to eat a piece of seaweed." Stanley giggled.

Mike smiled bravely, dove into the water and came back up with some seaweed.

"Ew, don't do it mike." Eddie warned, his face full of disgust. "Do you know how many germs can be on that thing?"

Mike looked Eddie in the eyes as he stuffed the seaweed into his mouth and chewed.

Eddie made a gagging noise. "Great job mike, don't blame me if you die of aids now."

Mike laughed and splashed him. "Truth or dare, Eddie."

"Truth."

Richie chuckled. "Wow, Eds, you're playing it safe."

Mike ignored Richie. "What's the worst thing you've done?"

A sudden silence filled the quarry. Stanley and Bill edged a little closer to Eddie, knowing he wouldn't remember the worst thing he's done.
Richie perked up, genuinely interested in what his friend would say.

Eddie hesitated, his mind remembering all the scars on his arms and the layers of foundation on them. His mind went back to the night when he first met Richie and when he threw Patrick into a tree. He thought of his mother and he thought of his ability. But he said none of these things.

"The worst thing I've done was get in disgusting lake water with you guys. Do you know how many germs can be in here right now? If I get an std from being in this gross water then I am forcing all of you to pay for my medical needs. Fish pee in this water. They have sex in this water. You guys don't even know how lucky you are that I'm even in the water." Eddie said, his nose crinkling in disgust.

The losers laughed and mike splashed him with lake water making Eddie scream obscenities at him.

"Eddie, your turn." Stanley said.

"What?"

"Pick someone for truth or dare."

"Oh okay, Richie." Eddie turned towards him, a smile blooming on his face. "Truth or dare?"

"Dare."

Stanley cupped his hands around his mouth. "Kiss him!"

Eddie blushed and splashed Stan. "Go fuck yourself."

Richie laughed. "So what's the dare, Eds?"

"I dare you to do a handstand."

Richie grinned. "That's easy."

He did a handstand then resurfaced. "Truth or dare Billiam."

"T-t-truth."

Richie thought for a moment. "Do you have a crush on anyone?"

Bill glanced at Stan, a blush forming on his cheeks as Stan looked at him and grinned.
"Y-yes."

The losers club laughed at Bill's embarrassment and splashed him with water.
Eddie smiled at his friends. A few days ago he had no one. He was in the woods all alone not even knowing his own name. Then Richie came along and helped him through the darkness. Richie helped him find Stan. Richie helped him stay grounded. If it weren't for Richie, Eddie would be dead.

//just a soft filler chapter hoped you liked it!//