Chapter 1 - Kiara

Chapter 1

*edited*

~Kiara

~12 years earlier

'Once upon a time, there lived a girl with lips like roses, hair like ebony and skin the colour of freshly fallen snow. Her name was Snow White.'

I giggled. "That's a silly name Mummy!"

My mother smiled down at the little five year old in her arms.

"Indeed it is Kiara, but that is her name. Now shhh."

I smiled and dragged my fingers across my lips as if I was locking them.

My mum smiled and continued with her story.

'Everyone fell under the little girls spell as soon as they lay their eyes on her. For she was the fairest in the land. However one did not fall succumbed to her beauty. That person was her step-mother.

'When Snow's mother passed away in childbirth, the King was devastated. He spent years and years of Snow's life drinking away his pain and sorrows.'

"But Mum! Drinking is bad isn't it? You tell us that all the time!" my older brother Cal chimed in. He was curled up on the couch next to my other brother, Elliot. His eyebrows rose over his blue eyes, challenging our mother to tell him he was wrong.

Instead mum had laughed. The tinkling sound filled the room and made me giggle. My father looked up from his work and gave us a strange look.

I rested my head on my mothers shoulder and looked up at her happy face illuminated by the warm fireplace.

"Continue the story Mummy!" I pleaded.

Mum smiled.

'The King spent years and years of Snow's life drinking away his pain and sorrows. That is until one day he realised that Snow had not been raised to be the Princess she should be and would not be able to take over the kingdom when he passed. So the King set out to find a bride. One who could teach his darling Snow what she needed. The King soon found a suitable bride. Her name, was Rapunzel.'

"That's not how the story goes!" Elliot exclaimed.

Mum shakes her head at him. "It's how the one I'm telling goes. Now shhh, this is where it gets interesting."

'Rapunzel was also beautiful, a rival to even Snow White's beauty. She had long blonde hair the colour of cornsilk and eyes as green as emeralds. The King fell instantly in love.

'Two weeks later, a wedding was held. It was a lavish affair, with everyone in the land invited. The royal courtyards were filled with beautiful sights and had scents of roses, chocolate and peppermint. The whole kingdom was excited.

All but one. Snow White.

'Everyone had long since adjusted to the new woman in the royal house. Snow White however had not.

Instead she had planned and schemed, trying to find ways to get rid of or destroy her future step-mother.

All attempts had failed. So Snow stood beside her father at the altar, her red lips pulled thin, her eyes dark, as Rapunzel walked down the aisle towards them.'

I hid my face in her long brown hair. "I don't like this story anymore Mummy," I whimpered.

"Shh Kiara, you must listen, we don't have much time."

I looked up at her, my large green eyes filled with questions.

Mum sighed. "Okay my little one. Someday the story will be completed by someone very special to me. You must trust her. Do you understand?"