Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Annalisa's lip quivered as she watched her father quietly sob to himself in the corner of her living room. She tried to reach out to him, pleading with him to come to her. But he only shook his head, muttering the four words that continued to embedded a bad feeling into her gut.

You're going to die..

She didn't understand what was wrong with him. In her 22 years of living never had she seen her father act this way, it was scaring her. Never had her father cried like this. He was always able to control his emotions.

She hastily wiped away the stray tear that fell from her eye, "Daddy? Please tell me what's wrong, Please" She begged him as she tried to inch closer to him. He looked up at her, his blue eyes shining with tears. He looked like a lost little child that was afraid to come from underneath their covers. Afraid the monsters were still hiding away in the closet.

He slowly rose up from his crouching position in the corner, his legs wobbled slightly as he stood up. "Annalisa you don't understand, if you knew where your fate lies now." He trailed off as he buried his face in his hands.

Annalisa frowned as she wrapped her arms around herself. She didn't want to hear his cryptic talk. She wanted an explanation. She needed to know what was wrong.

"Dad? Tell me what's wrong," She demanded softly as she walked closer to him. Her hand shook as she placed it on his shoulder, slowly rubbing small circles.

He dropped his hands from his face as he stared ahead blankly. "Annalisa I need to know where you got that necklace from," He asked as his gaze swerved onto Annalisa.

"It was from...one of them. The creature masqueraded as a human. And she gave it to me when I went shopping," Annalisa's voice was barely above a whisper as she told her father about the dreadful event that ruined her life.

"Annalisa, I need you to know that the minute you put that necklace on..your fate was already doomed. He wasn't supposed to find you yet, that necklace just helped him track you. There is no hope for you," He murmured, gravelly.

All the color drained from her face. "No hope for me? Who is he? What does he want with me? I don't understand," She questioned with urgency. She gripped his arms as she peered at him.

He ducked his head slightly, "Annalisa... what I'm trying to say is..that you were destined to become his to destroy. No matter where you try to run or hide, he will find you. The creature that wants you...will have you,"

His words lingered in the air. Annalisa couldn't process them. She had so many questions but they were stuck in her throat. Her stomach churned as she continued to stare at his fear stricken face.

"The particular evil creature is powerful. Far too powerful to for a human to defeat. He's from the underworld. He's practically unstoppable. I tried to keep you safe until your time ran out, but I failed." Her father shook his head as he squeezed his eyes shut.

The entire situation hit her like a ton of bricks. Annalisa's breaths came out in short pants, her heart thumped harshly against her ribcage. So I'm doomed to some evil guy from hell that's been sending his creatures to scare the living daylights out of me.

Annalisa wanted to laugh at the absurdity of that statement. She wanted to believe that none of this was real, but deep down she knew better. Never had she been so frightened and helpless. The strongest man she's ever known is expressing such defeat that she know that she's a hopeless cause. There is no saving her, she wanted to be optimistic but she just couldn't. This wasn't an everyday problem this is something bigger than anything she's ever dealt with.

She ran her hands down her face as she slid down the wall. "I guess I am going to die," She muttered with such hopelessness that it surprised her, it was completely out of her character to admit defeat but as far as she was concerned she already lost before she even had the chance to start.

She slowly brought her knees up to her chest as she rocked back and forth, her blue eyes downward. She sat like that for a long time, her mind was empty a dark abyss of everything and nothing.

Annalisa jumped ten feet in the air when a knock sounded on the front door. Breaking out of her trance she stood up, she caught a glimpse of her father. He was quietly sitting down, his palms were clasped together he almost looked like he was praying but his pained expression said otherwise. He looked so heartbroken that it caused Annalisa's eyes to brim with tears.

She briefly shut her eyes and reopened them and began her way to the front door. She twisted the door knob open when she reached her destination.

She furrowed her eyebrows when she saw her unexpected visit standing on the other side of the door.

Slade's expression was blank like nothing was on his mind. She didn't know why he was here, it wasn't everyday he dropped by. Annalisa decided she was too tired to start a fight so she just said "What do you want?" She crossed her arms over her chest as she leaned against the doorway.

An uncomfortable expression crossed his face as he muttered, "I..um wanted to see if you were okay. You looked very shaken up at the mall," He rubbed the back of his neck as he avoided eye contact.

Annalisa's mouth twitched as she raised her eyebrows. "Not used to acting like you have a heart?" She snickered as she waited for an answer.

He rolled his eyes, "Can't you not be such a smartass? I was trying to be civil, something that doesn't happen often." He scowled in annoyance, his green eyes flashing.

Annalisa shook her head. " It's not possible, you better get used to it if you're going to be stopping by," She drawled.

"Don't get too excited this isn't going to be an everyday occurrence." His voice was tinged with irritation.

Annalisa narrowed her eyes. "Please, honey don't flatter yourself. I don't need you here. The stairs are right there don't fall down them on your way out," She snapped with a thick coat of sarcasm.

She never had a chance to hear Slade's response because at that moment she heard a loud thump in the living room and a screech of agony.

She quickly jogged over to see what all the commotion was, but what she saw in her living room made fear drench her like ice cold water.

A loud ear piercing scream erupted from her throat.