Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Annalisa had no time to do as Slade instructed because she was drenched in a funnel of absolute darkness.

Her heart began to race as a maelstrom of unadulterated terror shook her to her core. The distorted darkness began shift in waves, giving off the illusion it was moving. In a panic, Annalisa swirled around, violently waving her arms as she ran aimlessly with no idea of where she could go or if she could escape.

She just didn't understand what was happening.

Annalisa dashed forward, hoping she find safety but came up empty handed. Her eyes darted around as incoherent demonic murmurs of her decreased father echoed in her mind, increasing in volume. She clamped her hands over her ears, hoping that could stop the whispers from slithering into the deepest depths of her subconscious. But it didn't, instead it physically sliced her insides with a scorching fire that nearly split her into two.

She faltered, choking at the sudden painful sensation taking her by storm, stabbing her from every angle possible until she was writhing and tearing at her own skin to escape her torment.

She dropped to her knees, unfazed by the impact of the ground underneath her as an emergence of boiling hot liquid trickled out of her eyes, nose and mouth. She screamed to the top of her lungs, harshly clawing at her face as she was basked in a veil of light from a parting cloud in the sky.

She watched in horror as the liquid gathered into a puddle beneath her feet, forming into the outline of a person. Ever so slowly, the light vanished once more from overhead and she was immersed darkness, falling into a downward spiral of agony again. An unrecognizable face constructed of mangled animal entrails flashed like lightening in front of her, acting as a distraction from the events taking place.

Just like that, everything stopped.

What the hell? She blinked in confusion as the scene before her very eyes materialized into burst of white smoke. The silhouette of trees crowded around her, swaying back and forth as several drops of inky blood landed on her exposed skin before disappearing into her veins protruding from the surface.

She adverted her attention away from vanishing blood and the unsettling sight of her veins. Instantly, she knitted her brows together, observing the gusts of wind whisking away the snow pouring heavily the crimson blanketed sky. Thinking back to the what occurred, she went to move touch her skin in astonishment from the absence of pain, but found one of her hands to be restricted.

Her eyes drifted down to the hand she gripped and was surprised to see Slade, pulling her along through the snow storm as if she didn't experience what she did.

"My God..What just happened?" Her hesitant, but fearful voice cut through the silence. "I felt it..it was here and I—"

Slade's expression mirrored confusion, glancing at her from the corner of his eyes. "What are you talking about?" He injected with a frown, resuming when she didn't speak. "Didn't I tell you to keep your eyes closed at all times? Annalisa, we've entered a dangerous realm that can cause pure insanity if you let these entities take residence in your mind. I'm trying to keep you safe."

She couldn't allow herself to be touched by his concern because her mind was still reeling from what she saw and felt. Annalisa faintly shook her head, swallowing hard. "I don't think that will help..I was attacked even with my eyes being shut." She admitted, suppressing a shiver at the cold temperatures.

Slade came to a stop, his eyes searched her face. He was silent for a moment, examining her with a mixture of indecipherable emotions. "Your eyes have changed."

"What do you mean?" She asked shakily, her body rocked with quivers as impending numbness set in her limbs. She tried to lift her arms to wrap them around herself in attempt to seek warmth when she realized she couldn't. "Something is wrong.."

Slade nodded gravelly, his mouth set into a grim line. "Before we can continue with our mission, I have to take you to see someone before it spreads. Come on." He tugged on her hand, nearly dragging her through the towering icicles and heaps of snow.

Apprehension flittered down her spine from his words, "W-what is wrong? Don't leave me in the dark..I need to know." Her teeth chattered, making it hard for her to speak. She used every ounce of her strength to keep going forward, walking sluggishly to keep up with Slade.

"I..can't waste time explaining..every second counts, but you'll know soon. Preserve your energy as much as you can because you'll need it."

Annalisa wanted to argue him down, demanding he reveals the information she had a right to know since it involved her, but she was too exhausted to do so. She had to force her eyes to remain open, tensing her body so it wouldn't sag with exhaustion.

She didn't know if it was how she went from being consumed within from fire to being submerged into a pool of bone chilling ice. She had a nagging feeling it had something to do with her father's cries for help, eliciting sympathy from her that ended up being used against her and summoning something from the unknown.

She hoped whatever it was..it could be reversed.

There was too much that had to be done to save her life and severe all ties with Lucius. She couldn't let her foolish mistake of giving what she thought to be her father a response and letting whatever entity preying in this realm manifest itself within her. She had already been through enough as it is and couldn't endure any more of this hell her life had become.

Immediately, Annalisa's inner thoughts ceased as she came to a standstill.

Her lack of movement alarmed Slade and he pivoted around, dropping his hand from hers. His features were void of any emotions as he surveyed the detrimental state she was in.

Somehow, she felt something drag her downward, pulling her so quickly she couldn't act on her instincts and hold on to something..anything to keep her from falling. As this happened..her body was still frozen on the outside and Slade shook her shoulders in exasperation, urging her come back to reality. She collapsed with tears in her eyes as she was forced against her will to make room for someone else within her own body. Although, her mouth began to move..the voice was not her own.

"Traitor."