|Chapter Fifteen|

"You need to leave, Heather."

I fluttered my eyes open, trying to adjust to the light from the daybreak. It was already morning. For how long was I really out? Heather was sitting near my beside on a stool, her hands holding my newly bandaged one. It was warm. I titled my head a little to see dad standing near the doorframe. I tried to speak, but my throat hurt and I tried to gulp but it was so painful. It was like someone slit my throat, with discomfort when I moved my hand Heather looked up at me. Her eyes were puffy, dark circles around them. God, did that stab me nearly to death. It did. She seemed never so devastated before, I was used to only the calm and so collected Heather. Even her emotions flowed in the direction she wanted them to. But today, I could see how her streams lost their route.

"How do you feel? Very bad, right? Tell me where you are uncomfortable, will ya", she spoke so softly, her voice soothing all my nerves. She was so close to breaking again but she sounded calm nevertheless. That's the epic Heather to you.

"W-water.. I..", I said.

"I will go warm it for you", she said dashing out of the room. She was still in her dress skirt and blouse from yesterday. Dad came near and sat down where Heather was before. He looked tired as well. He stroked my face before kissing my forehead smiling. A tight lipped smile. A smile that was forced out and.. so ironic.

"What would you like to have?", he asked. I haven't eaten since yesterday. But I wasn't hungry or even had any appetite.

"Anything is fine", I still said. I didn't want to worry him, so I would swallow anything although when my throat was literally killing me. "J-Jeff?"

"Sleeping in", he answered shortly. I could already tell from his look I was not getting any details out from him. He'd hide it like he always did.

Heather came in with the water I was dying to have by now. Dad helped me sit up. I shut my eyes tight when the pain hit me when I was moved. And the cold weather didn't make it any better. It hurt ten times more worse. Even my bandaged knuckles now. But I felt like taking a shower suddenly. The worst timing. It never crossed my mind before, but now when it did, I was only disgusted. I also haven't taken a shower yesterday. How was I supposed to go on with this? Heather lifted the glass to my lips and I took a quick sip to know its temperature. It was lukewarm and I gulped some more, immediately that bringing slight relief to my throat.

"Better?"

"Um.. can you explain what happened?", I asked her.

She was taken aback. "I lied. I said all that just to keep you away from Dani. I am sorry." She lied now. She would never lie about such things, and break apart like that. Her tears were real. So there must be some truth in what she said.

"What about Jeff? Is he okay?"

"I was only late by a minute or so", she looked guilty, "He pulled quite some good punch on Dani." What? "But don't worry I cleared everything up. I am sorry I couldn't protect you and Jeff well." She was fidgeting her long fingers, looking down at them. There was this thing about Heather. Even when I and Jeff did anything wrong, she always blamed herself saying something must have lacked in her upbringing. She was so utterly wrong. No matter what she did, or said she was only to be thanked. I cannot describe in words how much really she meant to us and what kind of high mountains we built in our hearts for her to stand, and for us to look up to her. We placed her somewhere in beyond. Yet, she was doubtful. "I am going back today", she announced in her lowest voice.