sixteenth shot.

En başından başla

"Amazing how money buys people's loyalty, doesn't it?" The older man told her, referring to the fact that Bella had paid the nurse for better treatment for Tommy.

"Yes, money moves the world, nothing new," she folded her arms. "But what are you doing here?"

"I've come to talk to Mr. Shelby, of course. Learning about his improvement," he said ironically, Bella laughed with sarcasm.

"I will not prevent you from entering, Mr. Campbell," she began softly, coming nearer and leaving her tone of voice full of menace. "I just want you to be aware that if you pull over your damn hands in him, you won't get out."

"I always wonder how a slag like Thomas Shelby finds the comfort of so many women to defend him. You should rethink better who you are defending, Miss Andriessen," Campbell raised his chin, holding his cane to the ground. "You know the consequence of who tries to love the Scum."

"You give me this advice as someone who met another person having these feelings for a scum, as you say. But the Lord forgets that I am no less 'scum' than he. "Bella came closer, enough for the man to see the iris of her eyes. "And write down my words: I can turn you in ashes, if you even look at him in the wrong way."

"What an incredible devotion to an unfaithful man." The detective whispered, and Bella pulled her trunk away, her expression showing nothing else.

"We are both our own people, and not that it concerns you, but I am faithful to what I promise. So be careful, right, Mr. Campbell?"

"It is not smart to threaten a king's man."

Bella united and pointed her lips forward, joining her eyebrows.

"It wasn't a threat, it was a warning. I'm even being friendly," she said with scorn, beginning to walk away. "You have five minutes."

When the detective entered the hospital room and the nurse passed by Bella, the nurse noticed the reddish-brown woman calling her, leaning against the wall.

"I need one last favor," Bella whispered to the nurse as she was closer, and the hospital employee leaned forward, noting that it was other work than her own.

The night came and Bella stayed in the hospital.

Tommy knew it would be a matter of time to die if he remained in that place, he could hardly stand up, and as if she was guessing his pain, the nurse gave him more morphine.

Tommy had been in a hospital before and knew that this was not common, but when his ex-fiancee came in holding his ragged clothes, he understood.

"Can you stand up?" She asked, It was as if she were avoiding his eyes.

Tommy didn't answer, just put his legs out of bed with effort.

"I'm going to Camden Town." He told her what he had already decided, and Bella finally raised her eyes to him.

"What are you going to do in Camden Town?" She asked, frowning.

"Alfie Solomons," Tommy replied, Bella handed him his clothes and he began to dress. He felt she might be reprimanding him, but instead she just nodded.

"Try to go by boat, it's not safe to go by any other route," she sighed, putting her hair behind her ear and her hand around her waist. "I can send a letter to him, I cannot guarantee that he will receive it. Alfie is the most volatile person I know."

Tommy faced her, got up and put on his coat.

"Do you know?" he asked, there was no surprise in his voice, he was just intrigued.

"Alfie is a friend." It was the only thing she said, starting to walk to the door. "I'll take you where you want to go."

Tommy followed her through the hospital hallway, looking at the shape on her back.

She stopped at the entrance and said something quietly to the man who came towards her, the man nodded and went the other way after nodding to tommy. Bella helped him into the car, the strong fever had returned and she had taken off her own coat to put on his shoulders, he tried to reject, but she stopped.

"I don't want to—"

"Shut up the fuckin' mouth." She complained by turning around in the car to sit in the driver's seat. "Where do you want to go?"

"Charlie's yard" he muttered and she faced him.

"Very well," the car began to move. "I wish I didn't have to see you leave the hospital so early."

"It was just a matter of dying inside or outside." Tommy spoke in a low voice. "Ya' shouldn't let Sabini notice you again."

"I know. But I didn't really think about it." She shook her head. "I shouldn't be surprised about ya' knowing about me and Sabini, but I am."

"Your men are always around, watching. Rebecca is always visiting Pol, you gave a job to Ada," Tommy almost stammered, his eyes failing to keep focus and his head heavy with pain. "It makes no sense for me not to take care of ya' even from afar."

Tommy watched her with difficulty even to raise his neck, she was very serious, looking forward. The rocking of the car made the pain worse, but the car smelled of her and he had to work hard not to fall asleep.

"You're a such complicated man, Tom," she smiled briefly.

He tried to smile, even with weak body and embarrassed vision.

"Nothing has changed about you," he said in a muffled voice. "I still want ya'."

Tommy thought he dreamed of her answer, but he woke up when the door slammed shut. She shook him slightly.

"Tom, wake up," he heard her voice speak softly. "We've arrived."

Tommy got up and got out of the car, he handed her coat back.

"So now ya' leave." Tommy looked at her before entering, arms folded to try to escape the cold he felt.

"Yes, but it's possible that we'll meet around again someday." She bent over and kissed his cheek. "Be careful, Tom."

He watched her get into the car and leave without waiting for another word from him.

And in a matter of seconds, he felt dead inside again.